Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Henry Garstang, 1st Battalion Lancs Fusiliers

davidrigg3

Hi everyone,

I've received some details about this soldier through a contact on another forum who said they came from someone on this forum and that they may have photos, possibly of the burial site? I sent an email to the address provided but haven't heard anything - I'm wondering if the email address was slightly wrong in some way.

What I know so far = On the 21 January 1918 the 31 year old Blackburn born son of John Thomas and Beulah Garstang, Private Henry Garstang 34557 of the 1st Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers was killed during normal trench warfare in the Passchendaele area of Belgium, his name inscribed on Panel 54 to 60 and 163A, Tyne Cot Memorial, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Prior to enlisting he lived with his wife Jemma and child at 1 Spring Gardens (off Morgan Street) he was secretary of the Littleborough Trades and Labour Council his name is inscribed on Littleborough Cenotaph as well as on the Holy Trinity War Memorial.

I'd be very interested to find out when he enlisted, in Rochdale I believe, so I can look into the movements of his regiment and perhaps work out his involvement in the war over the years.

Thanks in advance, Belinda

Belinda, I have sent you a PM on who to contact ref Littleborough war memorial, and yes your man did enlist in Rochdale. Regards Ralph.

Belinda,

As your man is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial it means he has no known grave - either he never received burial or his grave was lost or destroyed during the war. Many hundreds of thousands are similarly remembered on such memorials world-wide.

Have a look at the linked site The Long Long Trail (see top of page) - it will give you tips on where to look next in researching him.

Ian

Unfortunately, Pte Garstang's records are not on Ancestry and we don't know his enlistment date. A photo of his name as inscribed at Tyne Cot is enclosed.

BernardP

post-23884-1211406295.jpg

Belinda, I have had a look through "my" men who served in the Lancashire Fusiliers one had a number 31827 and enlisted 3-4-1916 another had the number 35982 and enlisted 19-6-1916, so I think it would be safe to assume that your man enlisted somewhere between these two dates, my guess end of May,beginning of June 1916. Hope this helps. Ralph.

Thank you very much to everyone who has responded to my request, especially Bernard who has provided several other pictures of Tyne Cot.

Thanks Ralph for the date range for the enlistment, if I ever manage to get to Kew that will certainly help narrow the searching down.

It really brings a lump to your throat doesn't it :(

Kind regards, Belinda