Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was Richtoften's "cousin" an RFC pilot?

Jonathan Saunders

I have been reading the Diary of Mick Mannock, published in 1966 and annotated by his biographer, Frederick Oughton.

Oughton mentions a C Flight pilot in 74 Sqn by the name of Begbie and states he was believed to be a “cousin” of Richtoften – conincidently Begbie was shot down on the same day as Manfred.

I am assuming by cousin Oughton meant Begbie was a distant relative. Can anyone confirm the family connection?

Although we have to allow for greater records and archives now being available, some of what Oughton states as fact is plain wrong IMHO, so it would not surprise me if he made this comment without having researched this potential relationship to the level we would today.

I havent come across this statement before so I am assuming it has no basis but I would be interested to have this confirmed by our War in the Air experts.

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan S

Jonathan, Why not put your question on the Aerodrome site. I'm sure they will be only too delighted to have another chance to talk about Von R, it's a never ending topic there.

it's a never ending topic there.

Translation: obsession :o

Michael (who rarely operates on the same Aerodrome level as Alex)

I could ask on the Aerodrome but I'd rather not. I dont think I have posted on it since some crass comment was made about Rhys-Davids.

Michael, I fully agree with your translation but good manners prevented me from using your description. :P

Jonathan, RD. Yes, crass is hardly the word. Disgraceful or despicable is more in keeping.