Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW Sports Day in Holland, July 1918

ckop4

I came across some pictures in the Cork Examiner of August-September, 1918, of groups of Irishmen, who had taken part in a ‘Sport’s Day’ in Holland the previous July.

The first picture is captioned ‘Irish Competitors in Holland. The above Irish group represents the tug-of-war team which successfully competed in Holland, July 20th’

The second ‘Irish Day in Holland. Interesting groups of Irishmen taken at the big sports day in Holland held last month. They won seven events out of nine, also four cups out of five, including several medals. There were 25,000 spectators present.’

And the third ‘Irish Prize Winners. Interesting groups of young Irishmen representing the prize winners in the Relay Race which took place at the athletic Sports in Holland last July.’

Among the competitors listed were –

Sergeant McGarry, Royal I. Fusiliers

Corporal Cully, R. I. Fusiliers

Sergeant Wheeldon Royal Munster Fusiliers

Sergeant Carswell, Royal Irish Rifles

Corporal Berry, Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Dublin

Sergeant Holden, Royal Irish Regiment, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny

Corporal Waters, Royal Irish Regiment, Carrick

Sergeant Lougheid, Royal Irish Rifles, Dublin

Corporal Woods, Royal Irish Rifles, Dublin

CSM Wells, Royal Irish Regiment

Captain Elliott, Royal Irish Regiment

Sergeant Sexton, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Dublin

Corporal Stoneham, Wilts

CSM Cody, Wilts

Captain Moore, Wilts

I know that a Sgt. Wheeldon, of the Munsters, was taken prisoner in 1914, as was a Captain Elliott, of the 2nd Royal Irish along with a CSM Wells, Sgt. Holden and Cpl. Waters also of the Royal Irish – so would I be safe in assuming that this event was a Sports Day organised for and by the POWs then interned in Holland who had been sent there from Germany or Switzerland? And I wonder if anyone else has come across this?

Regards,

JPC

Hi JPC

Can you scan and post the images?

There were only two ways in which such prisoners could have been interned in the Netherlands, either they had inadvertently crossed the border and been interned or they were part of the exchange system. The only troops that were interned in the first manner were those trapped in Belgium in 1914 (who retreated into Holland) or a few airman (mainly naval) who had been forced to land in the Netherlands (or Territorial waters) None of the men listed are from units that fall into this category so it is safe to assume that they were part of the exchange from Germany (I have never heard of POWs exchanged into Switzerland being transfered to the Netherlands). Internment was administered with a light touch and prisoners could obtain walking out passes (and even compassionate leave to the UK under certain circumstances). Escapees from Germany could proceed to the UK without being interned.

• 3 weeks later...
I came across some pictures in the Cork Examiner of August-September, 1918, of groups of Irishmen, who had taken part in a ‘Sport’s Day’ in Holland the previous July.

The first picture is captioned ‘Irish Competitors in Holland. The above Irish group represents the tug-of-war team which successfully competed in Holland, July 20th’

The second ‘Irish Day in Holland. Interesting groups of Irishmen taken at the big sports day in Holland held last month. They won seven events out of nine, also four cups out of five, including several medals. There were 25,000 spectators present.’

And the third ‘Irish Prize Winners. Interesting groups of young Irishmen representing the prize winners in the Relay Race which took place at the athletic Sports in Holland last July.’

Among the competitors listed were –

Sergeant McGarry, Royal I. Fusiliers

Corporal Cully, R. I. Fusiliers

Sergeant Wheeldon Royal Munster Fusiliers

Sergeant Carswell, Royal Irish Rifles

Corporal Berry, Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Dublin

Sergeant Holden, Royal Irish Regiment, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny

Corporal Waters, Royal Irish Regiment, Carrick

Sergeant Lougheid, Royal Irish Rifles, Dublin

Corporal Woods, Royal Irish Rifles, Dublin

CSM Wells, Royal Irish Regiment

Captain Elliott, Royal Irish Regiment

Sergeant Sexton, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Dublin

Corporal Stoneham, Wilts

CSM Cody, Wilts

Captain Moore, Wilts

I know that a Sgt. Wheeldon, of the Munsters, was taken prisoner in 1914, as was a Captain Elliott, of the 2nd Royal Irish along with a CSM Wells, Sgt. Holden and Cpl. Waters also of the Royal Irish – so would I be safe in assuming that this event was a Sports Day organised for and by the POWs then interned in Holland who had been sent there from Germany or Switzerland? And I wonder if anyone else has come across this?

Regards,

JPC

JPC - Sgt Patrick Holden, of the R Ir Regt, regt'l no. 3321, features in my research of County Kilkenny men in the Great War. I'd be much obliged if you could share the precise edition of the Cork Examiner that this appeared in.

Regards,

Niall