Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers T.F.

sandyford

Hello everyone,

Having eavesdropped on your discussions for a while (and searched the threads, honest!) I am very hopeful that someone will be able to clarify my confusion about army numbers and reserve battalions.

I began simply to list soldiers who made up the 6th Batt. N. F. as it left for France on 20th April 1915 and suffered 442 casualties on the afternoon of 26th April at St. Julien. Because there is no convenient Nominal Roll in an Appendix to a Battalion History, I have ended up listing all 6th Batt. Dead, 14 - 18, and am working my way through the wounded and sick to try to extract the information by soldiers numbers.

59 & 3675 are the extremes of the casualty numbers at St. Julien. So far(March1916) I have quite good runs of numbers. 4000 numbers start to appear in Oct. 1915. and I know that new numbers were issued in Mar. 1917.

There were some reserve troops who waved them off in April. Might these be the 2nd sixth and account for missing numbers or would the 2/6 have had their own batch?

Some of the discussion threads mention information about batches of numbers issued to different regiments. Where can this info be found?

Phew!

Kate