Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When were R. Fuselier numbers issued in Great War

Dizzydot

Hi

Not done this before-hope i have done this correctly?

Granddad was in the R. Fuseliers after being in the 5th battalion of the Bedfords, before becoming 60028 Edward J Beard. Could someone help with the dates this number was issued please?

Thank you

Dizzydot

Initial evidence seems to point to Edward Beard being part of a Draft of men from the Bedfords going to France via Folkestone/Boulogne on 27-9-1916. Arriving at 17 Infantry Base Depot on the 28-9-1916, they were posted to 1st Bn. Bedfordshire Regiment. They never joined the 1st Beds., instead transferring to the Royal Fusiliers on 10-10-1916. The man who's records I am looking at - 6378/40317/60034 William Charles Chappell - joined the 26th battalion Royal Fusiliers on 12-10-1916. It is likely that most, if not all, of the Draft did, but this can be checked by consulting the Medal Roll ledger books at the National Archives.

We need to find more evidence to be sure, however.

Steve.

Also,

Edwin Charles Cooper.

Enlisted into Bedfordshire Regiment, 17-9-1915, alloted No. 5419 (5th battalion bedfordshire Regiment number( i.e. Territorial Force)

Served with Territorial Force Reserve Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment (3/5th Battalion) at Halton Camp, Bucks, and on Munitions work at Loughborough and the Isle of Wight..

To France, 28-9-1916 (stiil technically part of the Territorial Force, hence the 4-digit T.F. number is shown on his Medal card).

Transferred to 3rd (Reserve) Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment, 28-9-1916, allotted No. 40320 (Regular Army Bedfordshire Regiment number)

Reported to 17th Infantry Base Depot, 29-9-1916.

Transferred to 26th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, 10-10-1916 and allotted No. 60036 (under Authority of War Office Telegram a.g.2a, 21-9-1916)

(Later transferred back to Munitions work and subsequently discharged due to deafness).

The details of this man's transfer from the Bedfords to the Royal Fusiliers are identical to those of William Chappell. I would be fairly confident to say that the large group of men (50+ at least) that share the same numbering sequences (423oos in Bedfords, and 60000s in the Royal Fusiliers) probably transferred to the R.F. in the same circumstances and went to the 26th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers as a Draft, seemingly including Edward Beard.

Again, checking the Medal Rolls at the National Archives should confirm the battalion that Edward Beard was posted to.

Steve.

It's also worth noting that he later transferred BACK to the Bedfords:

post-6536-1211309139.jpg

You probably know that Edward first served overseas at Gallipoli with the 1/5th Bedfords. I can't do more than recommend this site for the Bedfords:

http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/

Steve.

Me again. It looks like the 44368 was Edward re-enlisting back into the Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment in July 1919 after having been discharged from the the Army (probably early in 1919).

I think his initial number 3757 was probably issued on enlistment in very early August 1914.

Steve.

Wow! Thank you for your quick replies...

Yes, i do have a copy of the Medal card that you have put up on the site-that is where i was getting the numbers from. I also know that he was married in August 1919, in Wisbech. On his marriage certificate it says No. 60028 Private 4th Battalion Royal Fusileir (tinsmith) (journeyman). It is this that has prompted me to look further for info. Im just trying to piece together his army life/journey as he was a very reserved man and didn't talk much.

Stebie's definitely on the right track (again), the Medal Roll reference covering the Royal Fusiliers 600** numbers is WO329/769. I don't have the exact page covering his number range but I do have one from about 50 numbers away (going some way to confirming Stebie's theory about a draft of men to the 26th Battalion).

I've attached a couple of images to show the detail.....

Filing in the gaps without his service record is always a bit hit and miss but you have quite a few important dates.

This is my summary so far,

Enlisted in August 1914 into the 5th Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment.

Trained in East Anglia with the 5th Bedfords as part of 162nd Brigade of 54th Division.

Embarked to Gallipoli with the 5th Bedfords in late July 1915 landing at Suvla Bay in August 1915.

See: http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/5thbattalion.html

Some time in late 1915/early 1916 he would have returned to England, probably due to wounds or sickness. The Bedfords had a heavy battle or two in August 1915 with some heavy casaulties, especially at Kiretch Tepe Sirt on 15 August 1915, but thereafter were further plagued by the disease that was rife in the trenches of the Gallipoli peninsular.

He would have received some treatment in England to get him back fit again in early 1916.

I believe that he went to France in late September 1916, along with the two men I highlighted above and probably served with the 26th Royal Fusiliers of 41st Division.

http://www.1914-1918.net/41div.htm

Since he is serving with the 4th Battalion by the end of the war, he presumably switched battalions, either straightaway on arrival in September 1916, or later - perhaps again because of wounds or sickness.

It seems likely that he was demobilised in early 1919 as most "Duration of the War" men did, and then re-enlisted into the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment in the Summer of 1919.

That's about as much as I can garner from the records we can access online. The local papers may be able to add some extra details to his service, though.

Steve.

Unfortunately, the Bedfordshire Regiment Medal Rolls aren't as enlightening with dates as the Royal Fusiliers Rolls, but they should tell you his battalions...

(His Medal Roll reference prefix is "K" - Bedfordshires, etc., and not the Royal Fusiliers prefix which I believe is "TP")

Steve.

Unfortunately, the Bedfordshire Regiment Medal Rolls aren't as enlightening with dates as the Royal Fusiliers Rolls, but they should tell you his battalions...

(His Medal Roll reference prefix is "K" - Bedfordshires, etc., and not the Royal Fusiliers prefix which I believe is "TP")

Sorry, missed the part where he rejoined the Bedfords, he won't be in WO329/769 which is the Royal Fusiliers Roll, he'll be back on the Bedfords Rolls as pointed out.

Steve

Thank you so very much for all your helpful information! I assume then that i have to contact the MOD in respect of what battalion he served in as 44368? If i have understood your information properly, he served as this number after the war-1919 onwards? :)

Many thanks once again

Denise