Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper 120979 Moses Williams 243rd Tunnelling Coy

SpiderRAR

Hi,

I'm doing a favour for a friend in researching Sapper 120979 Moses Williams 253rd Tunnelling Coy, I have most information, need info off SDGW, this would be handy.

Cheers, Adam

Name: WILLIAMS, Moses

Regiment, Corps etc.: Corps of Royal Engineers

Battalion etc.:

Last name: Williams

First name(s): Moses

Initials: M

Birthplace: Forest Of Dean, Glos.

Enlisted: Tredegar, Mon.

Residence: Argoed Mon.

Number: 120979

Date died: 28 March 1918

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: (253RD TUNN. COY., R.E.).

Adrian

Name: WILLIAMS, Moses

Regiment, Corps etc.: Corps of Royal Engineers

Battalion etc.:

Last name: Williams

First name(s): Moses

Initials: M

Birthplace: Forest Of Dean, Glos.

Enlisted: Tredegar, Mon.

Residence: Argoed Mon.

Number: 120979

Date died: 28 March 1918

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: (253RD TUNN. COY., R.E.).

Adrian

Thanks Adrian for your prompt reply,

just a quick question as I am not from the UK, i'm not sure where the stated towns are, is the Forest of Dean, Glos (is that Gloucestershire and Argoed Mon? I've got no idea on that one)

Cheers,

Adam

Australia

Adam - you are right about Glos for Forest of Dean - being the county of Gloucestershire

Mon where Argoed and Tredegar were (county boundaries may have changed since then) is short for the Welsh county of Monmouthshire

Could give you wordy descriptions about locations etc - but probably easier to use Google Maps (or similar) and a bit of a search for more local info. Wiki has an article on Forest of Dean here: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_of_Dean but as with everything on this site can't vouch for total accuracy

Cheers

Sue

Adam - you are right about Glos for Forest of Dean - being the county of Gloucestershire

Mon where Argoed and Tredegar were (county boundaries may have changed since then) is short for the Welsh county of Monmouthshire

Could give you wordy descriptions about locations etc - but probably easier to use Google Maps (or similar) and a bit of a search for more local info. Wiki has an article on Forest of Dean here: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_of_Dean but as with everything on this site can't vouch for total accuracy

Cheers

Sue

Thanks for that sue,

I have always found the English system confusing, I'm not even sure what a county is, I always assumed that they were like Australian States. Once again thanks.

Adam

OZ

• 5 years later...

Janeyr,

I am compiling a database of all Tunneller casualties, if you have any info on your great grandfather that can fill out his bio I would love to use it, photo, newspaper clipping, anything like that.

Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy, cant give you much more info than you probably have concerning his service in royal engineers, but here is what i do know of his life, if that's of any use to you:
120979, Corps of Royal engineers 253rd Tunnelling company, Sapper Moses Williams was born July 1882, Ruardean Hill in Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire (youngest son of William Williams and Margaret Williams (nee Pritchard). At age 19 he was a below ground coal hewer, living in Nailbridge. During 1901-1902 he was to move to the Bedwelty area of Monmouthshire, Wales, along with his parents and siblings (presumably for better prospects of work in the South Wales Valleys Coalfields).
Moses married Margaret Constable (from Brynmawr, Breconshire) in November 1902 and they lived in Cwm road, Argoed, Monmouthshire. Moses was a collier at the time.
Moses and Margaret had 6 children between 1903 and 1915 (3 girls & 3 boys -Margaret Elsie (1903), William Moses (my grandfather) (1905),
Iris maud (1907), Lillian Pamela (1909), Horace Miles (1911), Frederick henry (1915))
He enlisted in Tredegar, Monmouthshire while living in Argoed, Monmouthshire.
Killed in Action Thursday 28/3/1918 (just 35 years of age)
Has no known grave but is commemmorated on Arras Memorial Pas de Calais, France, on bay 1
I also have a photo of Moses Williams (not a brilliant one as its a photocopy of a photocopy) head and shoulders in uniform, if you would like it. Not sure how to upload it to this forum...tried to make it my profile pic but its too big apparently!
Janeyr

Janeyr,

Thanks, these are just the sort of details I am after. You can attach photo's to the posts, if you have them on your computer. If it is too large, you can resize it on an edit tab in one of the photo shop type bits, (you can see I am not that technical myself!)

Coincidentally, my grandmother comes from Monmouthshire, just down the road from Moses in Blaenavon.

Andy.

• 4 years later...

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, motorcycle, car and outdoor

this is a photo of my brother (in the middle).  Moses was our 2nd great uncle.  Our family think that my brother carries the same resemblance as Moses

• Admin

Barbara,

Janey has not visited the forum for 2 years. You could try sending her a personal message.

Michelle 

Sorry to butt in here but my grandfather lived in Bargoed and Argoed and enlisted in RE in Aberbargoed, they are all small mining towns within short distance of each other.  There is a possibility they would have known each other.  I have never been able to establish which tunnelling company he joined but quite possibly 253rd - when did Moses enlist was it 1916?  I was born in Tredegar and very recently was in touch with some wonderful gentlemen who are running a tiny museum there, they are collecting info on first war local soldiers so may be able to help more.  You can get in touch with them via archiveclub@hotmail.co.uk or alyson.tippings@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk 

also the book miners at war 1914-1919 by Ritchie wood may be of interest but I asked him about all the 120/121 sappers who are not mentioned but had no response - I guess I was hoping that he had picked up on many being from the valleys and possibly info on my man but perhaps not.  

Page 255 of that book may be of interest