Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

stobs/stobbs camp,hawick,scotland

fi.w

Can anybody offer advice on where to look for info,on stobs/stobbs,when used as an internment camp?My gggrandad(german subject)Christian seiler was interned there.Ironicaly,his two sons fought in ww1,one died at the somme.Any tips would be greatly welcomed.fiona

You need to send a message to member, Derek Robertson. He is from Hawick and will certainly be able to help (I hope).

Send him a PM. His email address includes the word 'stobs'!

thanks for that terry.fiona

Fiona,

Check out my website on Stobs Camp:

http://members.aol.com/stobsmilitary/

Here is a photo of one of the first group of internees (mainly from Manchester) arriving in 1914:

POW017s.jpg

Thanks for that Derek.I'll have a look at that tomorrow when i've got more time.Fiona.

Thanks again Derek.I had already come accross your site,(before G.W.F.)on't internet,and found it most infomative!!!The photos on the site help to try and get an image in your head of what the place may have been like.So would it still have been a training camp,while internees where there,and then POW's?Do you know were I would apply to for records?Or could you advise?Christian Seiler,my gggrandad,(who was interned)was in his early fifties,he apperantly cought T.B while interned,(and later whent on to die from the disease)I just wonderd which organisation might have these records,if indeed there are any. :unsure: Thanks,Fiona.By the way,Christian,(german subject)lived in Liverpool and had Liverpool born children.Two sons ,who both fought in The Great War.Christian Seiler Jr,The Kings Liverpool Regiment,Pos 4t Battalion,Reg no 4423,died at the Somme9/9/1916?Peter,SouthLancashire Regiment,Reg no 39135. made it home ,but only lived another 13 years. d1929.