The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MGC Photos

helenstanton123

Hi - not sure if you want comments, but anyway, here goes....

The first one is of a MGC private, interesting that he is wearing his puttees wound to tie at the ankle, which would suggest that he is a mounted soldier...

The second is a nice study (mad hair!) of a soldier in the 5th Battalion (Cinque Ports) Royal Sussex, with a good conduct stripe, wound stripe and puttees wound in fancy patterns. From his collar badges, this battalion was a Pioneer Battalion - would need to check which Division; his belt is of the Slade-Wallace type, often used by service troops (RAMC, ASC for example). Interesting boots too...

The third is a nice study of a private in the East Surrey Regiment with early war stiff cap

Cheers

Peter

Here they are Frogsmile

Thank you. I will pass them on and let you know what I get back from the Association. Are the Kites from Wiltshire? I know a family of that name around Netheravon and Salisbury.

Here they are Frogsmile

This last pic with East Surrey's cap badge is clearly the same MGC man as in your earlier photos so quite likely one of the Kites.

And this one

And lastly this, kind regards, Helen.

I agree with all Peter says above and would add that the last pic is almost certainly the same soldier (a 'Kite' brother mayhaps) who is in all the other photos shown wearing an MGC badge. It seems likely that he transferred and that he might therefore have been in the MG section of the East Surreys battalion in which he served and then been swept up in the later reorganisation to form the MGC. From his shoulder title he looks to have been a regular and the pic possibly taken around 1914-15. What superb photos these all are.

I agree with all Peter says above and would add that the last pic is almost certainly the same soldier (a 'Kite' brother mayhaps) who is in all the other photos shown wearing an MGC badge. It seems likely that he transferred and that he might therefore have been in the MG section of the East Surreys battalion in which he served and then been swept up in the later reorganisation to form the MGC. From his shoulder title he looks to have been a regular and the pic possibly taken around 1914-15. What superb photos these all are.

Thank you, i think they are very special as well. In answer to your question, the Kites were from Northamptonshire,

Helen