Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Casualty of 13th KRRC

keithfazzani

On a recent trip I took the attached picture of the grave of the First Man of the 13th KRRC to be killed on active service. I have posted it also with the general pictures of the trip but thought that I would post it here so that it is more accessible to those with an interest in the 13th KRC

The War Diary for this reads as follows:

PLOEGSTREET Aug 18: A & B Companies went into the trenches at 9am under the supervision of 5th Royal Berks & 9th Essex respectively from whom we received every assistance and courtesy. The other companies were billeted and bivouacked near the village and underwent instruction by officers of 7th Norfolks and 7th Suffolks the mornings being spent in working parties on the subsidiary line under the RE. HQ was 97 Rue d’Armentieres. Transport and Supplies at DOUDOU FARM 2 miles in rear. In the evening we had our first casualties R3543 Crookes A Coy killed by a grenade and Y447 (sic) Gatward of A Coy wounded slightly in the head (38th F Amb)

PLOEGSTREET Aug 19: Crookes was buried in PLOEGSTREET WOOD where a small cemetery was found

(It would be interesting to know which spelling of this man's name is correct)

2457727214_ff8101e6bd_b.jpg

on his MIC it's Crooks, I have used both in my write up

chris

I expect the adjutant was shaken up by this first engagement and correct spelling wasn't high on his agenda. Sort of gives you a feel for the sadness and realities of arriving at the front.

I see that his service record has survived! Ancestry indicates that 38 documents are online.

Jim

(I checked that this was indeed, the correct J. Crooks, KRRC. James Crooks, a 33 year old Warrington man, who attested on 8 Aug 1914).