Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

identify cap badge and uniform

amarchie

Hi everyone

Really struggling to get any info on this uniform and cap badge. The picture is of my great grandfather Thomas Walker - who I am currently researching.

I know that the uniform is canadian, but I can't identify the cap badge. Someone mentioned that it might be the machine gun corp - but I don't think that it is. Can anyone help?

He has an unsual belt on too, which I can't place.

Thanks

Amanda

post-33788-1211194146.jpg

Hi Jon

Thanks - yes I have looked through the badges. I just cant seem to find one that has the same bit at the bottom. It is definitely a maple leaf and I thought perhaps it had a cannon on it. I tried to enlarge it in photoshop but it is still not clear.

Thanks again

Amanda

I think it is the Canadian Expeditionary Force - I may be able to find an illustration.

Amanda,

Many WW1 Canadian cap badges resemble this one, so unless you can make out the detail you may not be 100% sure. You can order a copy of his service record here:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivi...42-100.01-e.php

The record will tell you his original unit - thus giving you a better idea of the badge.

Also, his belt is from the "Oliver Pattern" which was a pre-WW1 equipment pattern that continued to see partial use into the war - the belt often worn as a walking-out garment.

John

Amanda .

I had a go at blowing the cap badge up, but it just blurs, but it looks very much like a "Machine Gun Battalion" badge crossed machine guns, one in front one behind a maple leaf, with crown and scroll, I could be wrong, you could post the photograph on the CEF Forum and I am sure someone will identify it for you.

Cheers Rob.

Hi - your Great Grandfather is wearing a standard Canadian seven button (rather than the British five-button) Service Dress tunic, and as mentioned, the belt could be from the late nineteenth century Oliver Pattern, which was later altered to become the Canadian Infantry Eguipment 1915 pattern, using a similar belt. The badges certainly look like machine gunners; one pattern of which, (as described), has crossed guns over a maple leaf and a scroll bearing the work Canada. As a machine gunner he would/could have worn distinctive arm formation badges of a coloured rectangle with black arrow facing forward.

All the best

Peter

This is the badge that I was referring to - unfortunately, the photograph shows very little detail.

post-34598-1211235846.jpg