Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Cinque Ports, Royal Garrison Artillery, Volunteer Corps

Messina1915

One of my chaps served with this unit in the Boer War and I'm curious whether it was just a temporary unit (excuse my ignorance, I know nothing about the army pre-WW1) or whether it had been renamed, merged with another unit or both, and still existed in WW1, in which case I would be curious to know what it's name was.

I had to edit the title to make it fit, so didn't have space to say it was in the "Eastern Division" at the time of the Boer War - thought I'd better mention that in case it was any help in identification.

Cheers,

Carole.

One of my chaps served with this unit in the Boer War and I'm curious whether it was just a temporary unit (excuse my ignorance, I know nothing about the army pre-WW1) or whether it had been renamed, merged with another unit or both, and still existed in WW1, in which case I would be curious to know what it's name was.

I had to edit the title to make it fit, so didn't have space to say it was in the "Eastern Division" at the time of the Boer War - thought I'd better mention that in case it was any help in identification.

Cheers,

Carole.

The Cinque Ports title originates from 1692 when the Western Regiment of the 'Trained Band of Soldiers' was raised within the Cinque Ports. The title has been handed down through a succession of units including cavalry, artillery, infantry and in more recent times, Signals. The Cinque Ports Artillery Corps Volunteers were formed in 1859 and by the Boer War there were several units: including 1st, 2nd and 3rd. In 1908 these erstwhile Volunteer Corps units became part of the Territorial Force (TF) under the reorganisation put in train by Lord Haldane. In 1908 the unit became the 1st (Home Counties) (Cinque Ports) Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery (RFA) and it was thus that they entered the Great War in 1914.

They were among many Volunteer units transferred to the Territorial Force on April 1, 1908, or raised in that year under the terms of the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907, and the associations by which they were administered. Under the auspices of the county of Kent the old 1st Cinque Ports Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) became the 1st Home Counties (Cinque Ports) Brigade RFA. The 4th Home Counties (Howitzer) Brigade RFA was also 'raised' in Kent in 1908.

I know I've thanked him privately, but a very big public thank you for Frogsmile's very informative reply is in order :)

Cheers,

Carole.

• 5 years later...

Rather than start a new thread about this unit, I figured it best to add to this existing one, regardless of the age of it. Hope that is AOK.

Anyway, my Wife's great, Great Grandfather, Alfred James Wettle enlisted with the AVC in the First World War till he was discharged just over a year later for medical reasons. He listed in his WWI Short Service Attestation Form that he served 7 years with the 5th C.P.A.V.

Just today I found 2 photos of him when he was part of that unit. I do not yet know when he served with them but that search is ongoing.

Question about this horse. What kind of horses did the British Artillery Units tend to use back in the late 1800's/early 1900's? I'm leaning towards a Percheron, possibly crossed with Arabian from what little I could find about horses used by the Army.

post-97006-0-58098100-1395882024_thumb.j

I'm assuming these pics confirm the 5th CPAV unit!

AJWettleCPAV1-1.jpg

Click on photo and click again on 'see original' to get a full size of this photo for better clarity