The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2187 R.J. Wood 20th London Regt

Guest tim-b

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find a little more about my Great Uncle, Cpl. 2187 Reginald James Wood.

He enlisted with the 20th (County of London) Battalion (Blackheath and Woolwich) London Regt. and lived at Witley, Surrey with my Great Grandparents.

He was sent to France on 9/3/1915 where he died on 21/1/1916 aged 24, apparently from a bullet wound to his neck.

I have copies of his medal card, and I know that he is buried at Maroc British Cemetary.

I am new to this and would be very grateful if someone could tell me a little more, either about him or the actions of his unit.

Thanks for reading

Tim

Tim,

I just swore in amazement (but not in print, thankfully). My grandfather knew your great uncle as they were in 20th Londons together and 'Reggie Wood's' death is mentioned in his little diary:

Friday 21st

Quiet day. Reggie Wood killed. Bad luck—awfully good chap (see note 3). Nothing much doing. Sleep well.

Note 3

2187 L/Cpl Reginal James Wood, 1/20th London Regt (Blackheath & Woolwich). KiA 21.1.16. Aged 24, Son of William James and Charlotte Ida Wood, of King Edward's School, Witley, Godalming. Buried in MAROC BRITISH CEMETERY, GRENAY, grave I. C. 8.

If you want to read the entire diary it on this site on my Blog HERE

Somewhere, and I will try to find the web site address, is a very good diary from the 2nd Lieutenant in the battalion who was killed on 25th September 1915 at Loos but it describes the training in the UK in great detail which gives an insight into our two relatives' experiences.

Hope this is useful.

Bill

Tim,

I just swore in amazement (but not in print, thankfully). My grandfather knew your great uncle as they were in 20th Londons together and 'Reggie Wood's' death is mentioned in his little diary:

Friday 21st

Quiet day. Reggie Wood killed. Bad luck—awfully good chap (see note 3). Nothing much doing. Sleep well.

Note 3

2187 L/Cpl Reginal James Wood, 1/20th London Regt (Blackheath & Woolwich). KiA 21.1.16. Aged 24, Son of William James and Charlotte Ida Wood, of King Edward's School, Witley, Godalming. Buried in MAROC BRITISH CEMETERY, GRENAY, grave I. C. 8.

If you want to read the entire diary it on this site on my Blog HERE

Somewhere, and I will try to find the web site address, is a very good diary from the 2nd Lieutenant in the battalion who was killed on 25th September 1915 at Loos but it describes the training in the UK in great detail which gives an insight into our two relatives' experiences.

Hope this is useful.

Bill

Bill

Thank you. I just had a little swear in amazement as well.

I've read your blog, fascinating.

I'm being cheeky, but would you object if I printed January out for family interest?

The other diary sounds interesting too.

Regards

Tim