Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Nolan MC, DCM & Bar, MM

Terry Carter

Another snippet from the Birmingham Weekly Post from August, 1919. It mentions an old boy who attended Wigmore School (Walsall & West Bromwich District Schools) Lieutenant Nolan, MC, DCM & Bar, MM. he enlisted as a private in 1914 and was later made a King's Sergeant on the Field.

Could any forum member explain what that means please.

Also does anyone know which Regt./Bn Lt Nolan served in.

Terry,

I appreciate that there will be a number of Nolans DCM but for information in a publication dated 9th september 1916 there is group photograph of medal recipients. One was " Corpl. Nolan (DCM)" No further info.

The picture was of a medal presenting ceremony at No 1 Convalescent Camp, Sutton Park.

Terry,

There is a chance that he may be Peter Nolan DCM MM who appears in the London Gazette for 15/03/1918 as "From Officer Cadet Unit to be 2nd Lieutenant" Infantry, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. This may be worth following up for either confirmation or elimination

Steve

Terry, you may also be interested to know that Wigmore Schools were built by the Walsall and West Bromwich Boards of Guardians - the school was an orphanage, in which the pupils were taught suitable trades.

Tom

Thanks Stuart, Steve and Tom

I have done a bit of investigating myself. This may interest Forum members who have a South Staffs interest.

Pte P Nolan No.14543 (South Staffs) MM gazette 23/8/16

Sgt P Nolan .. .. .. DCM gazette 22/9/16

Sgt P Nolan .. .. .. Bar to DCM gazette 14/9/17

2nd Lt P Nolan 16th Royal warwicks MC gazette 2/12/18

OOPS He was in the 3rd Birmingham Battalion in 1918 and I did not know.

However the Sergeant on the Field. Does it mean that in a particular action, all the NCO's were casualties so he was made a Sgt on the spot, so to speak, by a Company CO.

Cheers

Terry

• 8 years later...

Terry

post-10072-0-71611200-1351408763_thumb.j

I was surprised to see the above as I am researching Peter Nolan.

He appears to have been Walsall's most decorated soldier with, as stated an MC, MM, DCM and Bar !!!

I have just had access to his inquest papers held at Walsall LHC and unfortunately he fell down the stairs in his 70s and was killed.

Apparently he was wounded in the left arm which rendered the arm useless so he walked down the stairs backwards so he could hold the rail with his good hand.

He may have tripped or gone light headed, who knows. The Coroner could only 'sing his praises' at the inquest and lament what a sad end for such a brave soldier.

Now my question.

I have all his citations etc BUT can anyone enlighten me on his career in the Warwicks or furnish any other photos at all please.

A brave man indeed !!

Regards,

Graeme

Regarding the original question, I believe a "King's Sergeant" referred to a promotion on the battlefield. It was also used for "King's Corporal". I believe also that it was an "Old Army" thing, and probably untrue, but a "King's Sergeant/Corporal" could never subsequently be busted, whatever he did.

My old dad would have probably used the expression, and I seem to recall reading about it in The Victor - a very informative piece of reading for growing lads in the 60's.

• 3 years later...

Hi very interested in this theme - does anyone know how many instances there were of someone being awarded the MC, DCM and bar, MM other then Lt Nolan? I've come across an original set of miniature medals (still in the original box by Spink)  MC, DCM and bar, MM, 1914-15 star, British war medal, Victory Medal and Croix de Guerre. Cant imagine that there would be many instances of that combination?

Regards

Mark

Only two of this combination I think:

CSM James Donnelly MC, DCM*, MM. 20th Durham Light Infantry.

2-Lieut. Peter Nolan MC, DCM*, MM. 16th Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Donnelly also had the Belgian Decoration Militaire. His medals appeared at auction some years ago; the anonymous buyer loaned them to the D.L.I. Museum at one stage.

Nolan also had the Silver Medal for Bravery of Montenegro.

Both men received 1914-15 Star trios.

Bart

• 4 weeks later...

Photo of medals attached. Fantastic looking set in original Spinks case and mounting - MC looks like its been repaired at some stage (replacement bar). Doesn't appear to match the full entitlements listed above exactly and would be interested in any thoughts as to possible provenance.

Regards

Mark

mcdcmmm.jpg

I see he has a French Croix de Guerre instead of this on his medals. I can't find any reference to a CdG, maybe Spinks could not get the appropriate one.

cg_hrabrost.jpg

• 4 years later...

So thrilled to find this forum!

The Peter Nolan in question I believe was my Great Grandfather.

Discussing family history after a military memorial Today my mother told me about him and gave me the newspaper clipping you have mentioned.

Hi Poppy,

Welcome to the Forum.

This Peter Nolan died in Walsall on Tuesday 7 February 1961 at 38, Love Lane, Walsall after falling down the stairs.

Does this fit in with your relative ?

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

thanks for your message.

Yes that’s correct my Great Grandad died in Walsall falling down the stairs.

he had no use of one arm from gunshot injuries no sight in one eye and Couldn’t use his legs properly after an accident at work.(Mill furnaceman at the ironworks)

My Grandad kept the original news clipping in his wallet Along with old army photos from Austria and India which my mum gave me yesterday and she confirmed that the daughter who wrote in the article Is her Aunty.

I had no idea about Peter’s war efforts,no one had ever talked about him so if anyone has further information I would love to hear it.
I don’t think my mum realised how special his war story must have been.

My mum has never seen a photo of Pete so I’m thrilled to show her the one from this forum.

He is a spitting image of my Grandad John Nolan (RA champion of all India army boxing)Who served around the world and his Brother Peter(A champ boxer in Midlands)

Regards,

From the Annotated DCM Roll :

*NOLAN PETER A. MC,DCM, MM +BAR.DCM AS  6484 SGT 2/BN IRISH GUARDS

*DCM L/GAZ;4.3.18. FOR GALLANTRY AT THE BROMBEEK YPRES ON 9.10.17.

*MM L/GAZ;9.12.16.2/BN IRISH GDS

.*BAR TO MM 22.1.17.

* 2/LIEUT 16/BN R WAR. REGT

*. KIA FRANCE 27.11.17. AGED 27 YEARS .CAMBRAI MEMORIAL.  SON OF MARTIN AND BRIDGET OF WOODVIEW  OMAGH .ENLISTED FROM R. IRISH CONSTABULARY.

*MC L/GAZ; 2.12.18...............

*NOLAN PETER 14543 9/BN S STAFFS REGT.

* DCM 22.9.16 AS BOMBER MARTINPUICH 3/4.8.16.

* BAR TO DCM L/GAZ 17.9.17. FOR 21/22ND JULY 1917. AT ZILLEBEKE  BELGIUM.*

*MM L/GAZ 23.8.16 9/BN

*MONTENEGRO SILVER MEDAL FOR BRAVERY 1917.

BEST WISHES, HOWARD

• 4 months later...

Stuart, Reference your post from 2004 on my Great Grandad Peter Nolan do you have that photograph of that medal ceremony?

I recently found this article in my search and I’m convinced he is stood back row furthest right.(9/south Staffordshire)

I also received news yesterday of the whereabouts of his memorial which is amazing.

many thanks 

BC1B2066-8CD3-42C6-9BE0-73245FA29E00.png

Edited by Poppy

On 27/07/2016 at 00:54, LarryLars said:

Photo of medals attached. Fantastic looking set in original Spinks case and mounting - MC looks like its been repaired at some stage (replacement bar). Doesn't appear to match the full entitlements listed above exactly and would be interested in any thoughts as to possible provenance.

Regards

Mark

mcdcmmm.jpg

Unless I am very much mistaken the set depicted above are a set of his miniature medals--still a cracking group though--I wonder where his full size reside at present.

Robert

Hi Robert,

I did try to contact Mark who posted the photo of the miniatures but no luck ,his original post was so long ago I don’t think he is active on here anymore.

one day I might trace their whereabouts,fingers crossed.