Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Edmund Sharrington Davenport RFL

Pat Twomey

Hi All,

I have in my possession a French two franc silver coin, the reverse has been sanded down and the following words inscribed on it.

CPL.

C.E.

L.C.

Around the outside of the coin the words

HS. MGC. 2685 GROUTAGE

Two holes have been drilled in the coin and it looks like it was worn as some sort of identifying medallion.

Has anyone seen anything like this before or heard of a soldier called Groutage? According to the CWGC there were two soldiers with that surname that were kia but none from any Machine Gun Corp (if that is what MGC stands for). Hopefully someone will be able to shed some more light on this.

Thank you

Pat

Pat

The medal index cards at the National Archive show 2685 Cpl Leonard C Grouting, Tank Corps who was later commissioned 2 Lt in the same corps. HS stands for Heavy Section, Machine Gun Corps, the original name for the Tank Corps.

TR

Pat

The medal index cards at the National Archive show 2685 Cpl Leonard C Grouting, Tank Corps who was later commissioned 2 Lt in the same corps. HS stands for Heavy Section, Machine Gun Corps, the original name for the Tank Corps.

TR

Thanks Terry for the prompt reply I have downloaded the medal rolls but cannot upload them here as the file is too big. He was awarded the Victory and British medals but not the Star. Does this mean that he came late into the war?

Also on the roll is d/25-5-25 does this mean he was in the army until 1925?

Thanks Pat

I have also found online, in something called the 'blacksheep index', his name and 'MC award in 1918'. I'm not sure what this means. Can anyone tell me how to find out anything else about this soldier?

Thanks

Pat

Pat

His citation is in the London Gazette 7.11.1918 page 13155:

T. /2nd Lt. Leonard Charles Groutage, Tank

Corps.

For conspicuous gallantry. When his Tank

received a direct hit from an anti-Tank gun,

which iammed the door, he climbed out

through the roof with his guns and came into

action on the ground under heavy fire. His

example had a very inspiriting effect on his men.

TR

I have just found the following citation in the London Gazette 1919.

"T. /2nd Lt. Leonard Charles Groutage, Tank

Corps.

For conspicuous gallantry. When his Tank

received a direct hit from an anti-Tank gun,

which iammed the door, he climbed out

through the roof with his guns and came into

action on the ground under heavy fire. His

example had a very inspiring effect on his

men."

Thanks again Terry for the initial prompt.

To answer other of your questions ...

* Temp. 2nd Lt L. C. Groutage is promoted temp. Lieutenant, with effect from 27 Jan. 1919 (SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE (12 MARCH, 1919), p. 3373).

* Temp Lt L. C. Groutage relinquishes his commission "on completion of service," with effect from 1 Sept. 1921, and retains the rank of Lieutenant (SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE (5 DECEMBER, 1921) p. 9877.)

His birth was registered in the Aston (Warwickshire) Registration District in the quarter ended December 1896.

Thanks for the information 'Archer'. I'm kinda new at this so does the "on completion of service" mean that he left the army in 1921 or could it be that he signed up again if he retained the rank of Lt.?

All this information from a 2f coin!!

Best

Pat

As I understand it, Corporal Pat, he had met the terms of his contract or engagement with the Army and was released.

I couldn't find any trace of him returning to the Army. (I know you were interested in the year 1925, so I checked up to the Second World War.)

I haven't seen his Medal Index Card - but I think that it means the medals were sent (despatched) to him on 25 May 1925.

Pat - that is a super find; he was one of the first tank crewmen - http://firsttankcrews.webs.com/ccompanycrewmenal.htm

I would guess his officers file is still at Kew but I have not have the chance to get to it (yet)

Stephen

Would have replied earlier but have been in a six hour meeting and have onyl just spotted your post!

Probably:

WO 339/88168 GROUTAGE L [1914-1922]

Steve.

thank you Master :)

Stephen

PS Pat - can you give me the black sheep link

Thanks Stephen, Steve and 'archer' for your expert information on the medallion. The way the letters have been pressed onto the coin leads me to believe that he had access to some sort of engineering tools to carry out the procedure. I will attempt to photograph the coin over the weekend and put it on the forum. I have also tried to contact a Groutage in London to see if there is a connection. I have had the coin in my possession for a long long time but have only recently taken up an interest in WW1 and only more recently again thought that this coin may be somehow connected to the Great War. What a surprise when I discovered (through all your help) the story behind it.

Pat

Thanks Pat, certainly the early tankmen had a number of motor cycle mechanics as well as enthusiasts amongst their ranks; they would have had ready access to engineering tools as well.

Can I ask how you came by the coin, it might give me a clue about where Groutage settled.

Stephen

As a schoolboy (a very long time ago) I collected coins and by trading with friends the coin somehow came into my possession. I live in southern Ireland (Cork area) but I'm not too sure how the coin travelled here.

Pat

To quote Alice "Curiouser and curiouser"; a little more grist to the mill then

On..... on......

I promised to put a photograph of the coin/medallion on this thread but when I try I get the message "upload failed. The file was larger than the available space."

Is there a way around this?

Pat

Try this as a way ahead.

first open the picture using Microsodt Paint

Then click the "image" tab on the tab bar and select "stretch / skew" on the drop down menu

Then insert 5O in both the horizontal and vertical stretch box.

Then press ok

Then save the picture

Stephen

Thanks Stephen for the technical info - never would have sorted it without you. You're right it does get 'curioser' and 'curioser'.

I decided to do a trawl of Irish newspapers as it was in Cork that I first got the coin and bingo!! in the Irish Independent dated Aug 16 1929 a Mrs Groutage won a prize for her dog in a local dog show.

Then on June 21 1929 a Mrs L Groutage of Blackrock (about 4 miles from my old school) again won a prize at another dog show.

The next entry was on March 16 1933 in the section of the paper that lists upcoming court sessions and Court 4 was hearing Bullarch Ignition Co. v Groutage.

Then unbelieveably and very sadly on June 9 1933 a news story appeared under the heading

Death by Misadventure

This was returned in Cork at the inquest of Capt. Leonard C Groutage M.C.(38) who was found in a dying condition at his residence South Terrace on Sunday.

According to the testimony he was under medical treatment and using a narcotic prescribed drug and seemed to have taken an overdose.

I'm still shocked after only just uncovering this sad end to such a brave soldier.

Best

Pat

Pat - thank you for the picture and also for finding the news of his end.

Sad is indeed the best way to describe the death, misadventure is a remarkable legal phrase which seems to have so many meanings.

Daft question but there isn't an obit published is there.

Stephen