Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where to find records of Aussie WW1 soldier?

Batin

I'd to find records for John ('Jack') Carrigg, who served in WW1 (and WW2).

In (probably) 1914, while an 18-year-old law student at a university in Melbrourne,

he and his entire group of classmates enlisted. As far as I know, he was the only one

to return home.

Can you tell me where to begin my search?

Thanks!

Donna

Donna

His WW1 record can be found here --> clicky

Les

I'm guessing this is him for WW2 (it's the only John Carrigg/Carigg listed but the place of birth is different)--> clicky

I'd to find records for John ('Jack') Carrigg, who served in WW1 (and WW2).

In (probably) 1914, while an 18-year-old law student at a university in Melbrourne,

he and his entire group of classmates enlisted. As far as I know, he was the only one

to return home.

Can you tell me where to begin my search?

Thanks!

Donna

Try this website you can view their service record http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp John Carrigg's records are on the site they consist of 34 images. I viewed my gr uncles and they are very informative, and its free.

Bev

Over the past few days I've had problems accessing this website in the early evening - dunno if it's a busy time Down Under. I've given up on a couple of occasions, but have finally got the records I'm after - with one important page missing. As is often the case, it's some of the letters to the authorities from parents that make interesting, sometimes sad, reading. In my man's case, his parents obviously had had a nasty break-up and weren't communicating with each other concerning their son's wounds and whereabouts.

Moonraker

Donna

His WW1 record can be found here --> clicky

Les

I'm guessing this is him for WW2 (it's the only John Carrigg/Carigg listed but the place of birth is different)--> clicky

Thanks so much, Les. (-:

Unfortunately, the WW1 chappy isn't him (the age is wrong, plus the spelling of the name is different), but that's definitely him in the second link.

I appreciate your providing those links.

Donna

Thanks so much, Les. (-:

Unfortunately, the WW1 chappy isn't him (the age is wrong, plus the spelling of the name is different), but that's definitely him in the second link.

I appreciate your providing those links.

Donna

Bev, I'll check out that link you provided.

Moonraker, thanks for your input as well.

Donna

I'm pleased to have just found his WW1 documents, which I'll print out.

Using the link you gave me, Bev, I can access his WW2 docs as well, though I have

to pay to view (and print) these. Unfortunately, when I try to proceed I keep

getting an error message. Is that what happened to you you, Moonraker?

Donna

I think this might be the one you are after.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.as...mp;I=1&SE=1

This is his WW2 Nominal Roll entry.

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/veteran.a...739225#summary1

His WW2 service record has not been digitised as yet. You can request it to be done or purchase a hard copy. From memory the digitised one is $16.00 and the hard copy is $25.00. There is a time delay in both counts depending on the backlog of work.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

PS:

When there traffic is high it can be REALLLLLLL slow to access the NAA records.