Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pensions

baorbrat

Could a pension once awarded be stopped?

I don't see why not; it could be found that the pension should never have been awarded, or that the pension was correctly awarded but the recipent was no longer entitled.

Is there a prticular set of circumstances here?

I don't see why not; it could be found that the pension should never have been awarded, or that the pension was correctly awarded but the recipent was no longer entitled.

Is there a prticular set of circumstances here?

Brain Storming. I can't seem to find my Grandad's service record. Mel,(on the forum) is also looking.

Grandad, Geroge Anderson, GNR 217711 RA. Volunteered in 1917. Survived the war, I have his medals.

He, at the moment doesnt seem to have a service record.

At the time of his death, 1944. He didnt have a pension. I was wondering though, is a look in the pension records worth the time?

Yes! Because they aren't all records of men who got pensions, they are just a random sample that were being used at the Ministry of Pensions (to do some sort of survey, I guess). There are LOTS of pensionless people in there.

Hi Peter

Is it possible he could have been an officer or in the second world war.

In both service records and pension records nothing seems to tally to say that it's him, I'm still looking to see if he's in someone else's file

Mel

Not an officer in WWII

He was an Air Raid Warden in Cupar Fife.

Many pension awards were made for a specified period and not for life and were intended to allow a soldier recovering from wounds or sickness time to find himself a job back in civie street

Nope, a humble Gunner.

Some Men Decided upon taking a Lump Sum Payment instead of a Pension,or in many cases the Pension was only awarded for a Certain Time Period then Stopped.Another Scenario could have been that He was Re Examined by a Medical Board and found to be Fully Fit/Recovered and the Pension Stopped.