Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hotel Ariane

jackym40

Hi All,

We have booked the Ariane for Whit week to do some battlefield touring and just wondered if anyone knows if they have tea making facilities in the rooms?

Also we are planning on going down to Vimy Ridge and Queens Cemetery Bucquoy so does anyone know the Sat Nav postcodes for these places?

Thanks in anticipation!

Jackie

Just stayed in the Ariane, and can confirm that it does have tea making facilities in the rooms. I hadn't stayed there for a while and had forgotten what a pleasant place it is - you will certainly enjoy your visit.

GPS locations:

Vimy - 50°22.758'N, 2°46.208'E

Queens - 50°08.001'N, 2°42.152'E

Jackie,

Whilst I argee with the comments about the Ariane and can confirm that they do have tea making facilities in thier rooms, you might wish to consider how you like your tea.

If you like something slightly stronger than Liptons then I suggest you take your own favourite brand.

Enjoy the hotel and your trip.

Malcolm

Ariane is the best hotel in Ieper. Very comfortable.

"Debatably" the best hotel in Ieper! Personally, I can't sleep there!

Most people would totally disagree with me on this point, but I've never liked the place! (Give me something more traditional, rustic and less clinical any day!!! B) )

Dave

I have heard the Ariane described in many ways but "clinical" is a new one!

I have heard the Ariane described in many ways but "clinical" is a new one!

I know what Dave means though. Even though it's privately owned it has a bit of feel of the modern chain hotel to it.

Personally, I like "clinical" which is why I wouldnt stay anywhere else in Ieper.

John

That'll explain the nurse's uniform then, John.

You been talking to Mrs H?

She usually says she likes me in it.

You can also have room service. Barb and I always take extra milk even though we could ask at the bar for some.

Just mention my name and - you will be out on your ear :D

Do not let Ricky help you choose a good beer to try. Last time I could hardly make it upstairs.

Breakfast will keep you going all day.

Staff are wonderful.

They also have a small 'museum' and sell books etc. Very good one on 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters I believe :rolleyes:

Has wireless connection for a small fee.

You can hire bikes from them.

steve m

Jackie. Queens Cemetery is very easy to find, its on the road from Bucquoy to Puisieux.

Mick

"clinical" is a new one!

No it's not.

Dave (maybe it's just a word lost in translation in the great north/south divide (John understood what I meant, for example, and it's a word in which that particular meaning of has always been known to me), but it's a word that describes it perfectly to me! )

Ariane is the best hotel in Ieper. Very comfortable.

And Very expensive to Boot..!!.I Managed to get B & B in kemmel Last Month for 10 Euros a Night from a Friendly Local,plus the Run of His House etc,etc.Right in the Main Village...Thanks Jan !!!!... :D

Hi All

Many thanks to you for all the replies and help.

We are looking forward to our trip and to staying at the Ariane. Last year when we went we stayed 1 night at the Albion and 2 nights at Old Tom.

We decided to try the Ariane this year as most people on here rate it very highly.

Once again thanks

Jackie.

Also mini bar in the rooms, although I have never used them, and now mugs and not cups for the tea making facilities. Still my first choice for staying in the centre of Ieper, although now with the weak pound it makes it an expensive choice, a year ago it probably cost about £65-70 a night - now it is over £90 a night :o

Stayed at the Ariane in April and my bill was Euros 92 total. That's good value.

That is good, I stayed saturday night 115 for me and the missus

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Hotel Ariane and it's all you said and more. It was excellent, staff were brilliant, food outstanding, and the whole experiance was fantastic!

Enjoyed it so much we have already booked up to go again next year. Definately the best hotel in Ypres we have ever stayed at.

Had no problem finding Queens cemetary and was able to lay a poppy wreath and photo on my great uncles grave. Also had a day touring Vimy Ridge (What a memorial!) and Newfoundland park aswell as many sites around Ypres.

All in all an excellent trip, can't wait for next year now!

Thanks for all the info you gave me

Jackie

Jackie: really pleased you enjoyed the Ariane. Of course you can't please everybody and I am long past the days when a 10 Euro B&B is sufficient. I prefer good value, good quality modern comfort with attentive and pleasant staff, in a very convenient location. That is exactly what Ariane is.

Stayed at the Ariane for two nights last week and the refurbished rooms are superb. The food if anything has improved on an already high standard.

They have bought the house in front of the hotel which will be used for offices, gym and sauna giving another 7 rooms in the hotel itself when the work is completed.

Never knew there was north/south divide on the interpretation of clinical - whatever it is give me clinical every time; a shame there is not a similarly clinical hotel on the Somme.

Hi Jackie, you never mentioned the Tea ... any good? I have stayed in the Ariane many a time and can highly recommended it, saying that I cannot remember the rooms very well as spent most of my time at the bar !

On the subject of Bars now, anyone ventured across the road to "Bar Abatoir" (I think it was called that?) on the corner?

Stayed at the Ariane several times (love it) and only ever been in the bar opposite once, never seems to be open. Ralph.

Yes the bar opposite is the 'Bar Abbatoir' but never been in it because I don't eat meat and the name puts me off! The Ariane was built on the site of the old abbatoir. Nevertheless it's still a good place to stay.