Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Preston Servicemen Writings

Dave1914

Hi, I have decided to undertaken a project to obtain a copy of any letters, diaries, autobiograpies or any other written document of Preston Servicemen. So if anyone has a relative, or knows someone who did, who has such documents I would like to get in touch. My simple intention is to create a 'catalogue' of existing materials to aid my research.

I am unsure of the response on here, but are there any Pals on here from Preston?? :huh:

Lets see where this project takes me... :lol:

Regards,

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David

I'm not from Preston but the Fylde and having just linked you with the area and your interest in the Preston Pals I can offer a photo of Edward Ibbison 25484 7th Btn Loyal North Lancashire Regt who was killed on the 1st day of Passchaendale. He was my Great Grandmother's cousin and I have met his grandson as well as his nephew.

I have also a photo of Ted's brother Willie whose details I posted recently on the site - he was artillery. How far does your interest go distance wise? There are a number of other men, mainly from the Warton area, in our family album - most seem to be artillery from their uniforms.

Regrettably I don't have any documents/writings to send on but having made quite a number of links through researching the family history I could always send out an alert to my local contacts, something may turn up.

Tell me what your real interest is and I'll do what I can to contribute

Jan

David

Just found another of your postings regarding Kirkham Pals last year. I came across a pamphlet which was called the Kirkham Soldiers Gazette which lists where all the men of Kirkham and immediately surrounding village with their regiments etc. The original was issue no 2 and I subsequently found another edition which had been put together by D Parkinson November 2004 evidently using an original which I haven't been able to source, I believe that Parkinson's may have been No1 and possibly 2 combined. Issue no 2 was stocked at St Anne's library (Reference only) and really does give a great flavour of the atmosphere at the time. Contact me for the full listing of men in issue no 2 - there are over 100 LNLR shown from Kirkham itself. the list gives service numbers and a home address in most cases so extremely helpful

Sorry not to mention this in previous email

Jan

Hi David,

I'm from Fulwood in Preston and go home some weekends, though based overseas in Benelux during the week and occasional weekends.

Do you require service personnel from WW1, WW2 or both? My grandfather being WW2 Royal Navy, and other relatives WW1.

looking at your avatar, is the headstone in Preston Cemetery?, there are several CWGC Stones near my grandparents grave of which I have all the photo's and some information on the occupants.

Regards

Jon

How far does your interest go distance wise? There are a number of other men, mainly from the Warton area, in our family album - most seem to be artillery from their uniforms. Regrettably I don't have any documents/writings to send on but having made quite a number of links through researching the family history I could always send out an alert to my local contacts, something may turn up.

Tell me what your real interest is and I'll do what I can to contribute

Jan

Hi Jan, I haven't set a geographical limit! Ibbidson, I know of a couple of brothers by the name off the top off my head - I'll check later. I welcome any information, whether it was from Kirkham, extra sources can never be rejected in piecing together their history. Ive pmed you though!

David.

Hi David,

I'm from Fulwood in Preston and go home some weekends, though based overseas in Benelux during the week and occasional weekends.

Do you require service personnel from WW1, WW2 or both? My grandfather being WW2 Royal Navy, and other relatives WW1.

looking at your avatar, is the headstone in Preston Cemetery?, there are several CWGC Stones near my grandparents grave of which I have all the photo's and some information on the occupants.

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon, the headstone is New Hall Lane cemetary and is the headstone of my Great Grandfather who enlisted by died before he could serve. I'm from Fulwood myself! I am interested in WW1 mainly, but would be interested in any information of 2nd World War. I've pmed you.

Regards,

David. :rolleyes:

• 8 years later...