Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl Henry Bellwood Banks - 15th Bn London Regiment

Neil Mackenzie

I am researching the Whitgift Middle (now Trinity School, Croydon) school's war memorial. From a list of Old Boys serving in the War that was published in the Old Boys magazine I have a couple of men who I believe died in the war and are commemorated on CWGC but who are not on the School Memorial. I would like to get them added along with 2 further men who I have been able to prove attended the School and died in the War.

One of these is listed in the magazine as L/Cpl HB Banks of 15th (County of London) Batt (Civil Service Rifles).

There is a Corporal HB Banks (530132) on CWGC of this Battalion who died 22/5/1918 and is buried at Pernois British Cemetery.

From his MIC I know that this was Cpl Henry Bellwood Banks (formerly L/Cpl Banks - No. 1579)

The book 'Croydon and the Great War' lists this man so I know he was a Croydon lad and the School was in Croydon.

So I am confident that this is one and the same man but I have not been able to prove it conclusively and wondered if anyone could help (long shot I know). I don't have access to Ancestry but a quick search on their site does not seem to indicate a Service Record exists for this man. Can anyone find it or any other info which might prove the link?

Many thanks.

Neil

Hi Neil,

There does not seem to be any records on Ancestry, service or pension. There is a MIC, but you already have that. The only other option that I could suggest would be SDGW, which may give you more information. I do have a disc, but I'm at work untill after 6pm. If no one else as pick this up, I'll have a look when I get home and put the details up for you.

Regards. Llew.

Neil,

The additional information from SDGW,

Born Norwood.

Enlisted London.

Resident Norwood.

Died of Wounds 22.05.1918.

Regards. Llew.

LLew

Thanks for taking the trouble to look him up.

It has reminded me that, while I have already checked the Croydon Advertiser archive there was also a local Norwood paper so I can try its archive next time I am at the library.

Neil