Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Great War" by Les Carlyon

AlanCurragh

Having made a start on Les Carlyon's Gallipoli, I would liek to try and get hold of a copy of his subsequent book "The Great War". I've looked at Abebooks and other similar websites and can only find copies in Australia - with very considerable costs for postage.

Has anyone ever managed to track it down in the UK?

Thanks

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet seen on sale in UK but I'm lucky enough to have an Aussie mate who brought a copy over as a gift last year. Great book. I'm a Carlyon fan.

I'm sure it'll hit the shops eventually, but I think you'd find it worth the p+p if you got impatient.

Chris

My copy is first Aussie edition - but bought at a UK bookfair - probably for little more than the postage would cost - it's "big".

Martin

I dipped into the works of Les Carlyon when I was in Oz last year but had no opportunity to read further. What's his approach? Primary or secondary sources, Official Histories or "the man in the street". Hope he's not a "Poms and Haig are to blame for everything merchant!!

Chris C

Alan - i'm about one third through mine. A nearby discount store should have it and i'll check the postage later today. Might not be as bad as you think - will let you know.

Simmo.

Hi Simmo - thanks for the offer, but I've succumbed and ordered it from Australia. The book was fairly heavily discounted, sadly the postage wasn't!

Alan