Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Agincourt

Messina1915

Hi Guys

I know thanks to help received on the forum that one of my chaps was Assistant Navigator on the battleship HMS Agincourt for the majority of the war.

I know that Agincourt was one of two battleships being built for Turkey that were requisitioned at the beginning of the war and I've found some information on her part in the Battle of Jutland in this article.

What I want to know is if anyone can point me towards any additional information - any first-hand accounts of her involvement at Jutland, or any information on anything unusual that happened - to Agincourt or related to her - while she was in port or engaged in routine duties etc. My chap was appointed to his next ship on 1 February 1918 (having joined Agincourt in August 1914), so anything that happened after he moved on doesn't interest me.

I'd also appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me what an Assistant Navigator's duties would have been during the action at Jutland.

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole,

An excellent book on this ship is: Richard Hough THE BIG BATTLESHIP or the curious career of HMS Agincourt, London, 1966.

With best wishes,

David

Carole, the AGINCOURT did not suffer any action casualties at Jutland or at any other time in the FWW. Her only casualties were from illness and accident.

Best wishes

David

Have you read through the ships logs held at Kew in ADM 53?