The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Appalling vandalism!

Muskoka

I just returned from a research trip to France, where I visited several of the CWGC cemeteries. As we stayed at Wimereux and our home is Guelph, Ontario - the birthplace of John McCrae - we visited his grave there. I wanted to sign the guest book, but found, to my shock and disgust, that someone had burned that and the register. I couldn't help but think that the hooligans who had done this need a strong lesson in the sacrifice made by millions of young men for their liberty. :angry2:

In this day and age its sad to see what the young (and not so Young) get up to in the name of fun, some times I think that the birch would be to good for them, last used in the Isle of Man in 1975 for this sort of valdalism and now sadly missed. Peter

:angry2: Terrible :angry2:

It's morons like this who give us young people (I'm 19) a bad name.

If only the jobs who do things like this could be made to understand that lads much the same age as them fought and died for their country's sake... :(

:angry2: Terrible :angry2:

It's morons like this who give us young people (I'm 19) a bad name.

If only the jobs who do things like this could be made to understand that lads much the same age as them fought and died for their country's sake... :(

The trouble is Carol the morons don't have two brain cells to rub together. These are what we would call in Ireland " Brussels sprouts " as they are too thickto be called "Cabbages"

The cemetery is locked at night, so what time of day was this obscenity perpetrated ?

We were there on the morning of April 24th. The charred remains seemed pretty fresh, so we assumed it must have happened the previous evening. Didn't know they lock the gates at night.

What a disgrace,

People keep telling me discipline and corporal punishment doesn't work, this sort of thing doesn't help me change my mind.

Bring back the birch.

Regards Charles

How do we know the age, or anything else for that matter, of the perpetrators?

Neil

Shame on them probally drunk on 2 bottles of shandy and ready to fight the world. Frans at Essex farm is the only recorded person to catch a vandal in the act of vandalisim at a CWG at Essex Farm the culprits was taken to court and punishment was handed out in a very very very large fine. Frans tells a great story about it :lol: .

Dan

Sorry lads, of course you are right it is very easy to blame the young, but deep down I hope it was the young, because if was not then we are into some thing a bit more sinister. Peter

Or perhaps we should be looking for an 80+ year old visitor who spilled his burning cigar over the guest book and panicked? :unsure:

Roel

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Wimeraux this week, and I can report that register and guest book are there so have clearly been replaced.

On our recent trip to France we discovered two cemeteries where the door had been removed from the "box" containing the registers - the latter had also disappeared. I do not believe this was vandalism, youth or otherwise, but greed pure and simple, either for the scrap metal value or to be sold as memorabilia - all sorts of bad things happen and I am not sure we should attribute blame until we have the evidence - as shocking and appalling as all these actions are.

Good to hear, Andy!

for the scrap metal value or to be sold as memorabilia - are.

It'd be for the brass value.Keith.

Anyone who can is getting brass to sell since its price went haywire.