Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King George V

auchonvillerssomme

I have noticed on his MIC that King George V was entitled to the 15 Star, BWM and Victory. Does anyone know what the inscription is?

Mick

I also noticed that the Prince of Wales made his request for his 14 Star Trio through his equerry. I imagined being royalty they would just arrive.

Mick

If he was an Officer (the Prince that is), he would have had to request them IIRC. I noticed the King didn't have a regiment (was he a mercenary? :lol: )

Below, both MICs

Les

kingaj5.jpg

princetp8.jpg

There is another MIC for Prince of Wales

Mick

I thought you didn`t qualify by making visits? Mind you, it would take a brave clerk to turn KGV down.

But as King I though he would have "applied" for the 14 Star & Clasp, Merc Marine and any other's that he may have been in charge of :lol:

Hi,

The King not having a regiment recorded on his MIC is not a problem as far as the medals are concerned because the regiment or corps is not detailed in the naming which is limited to rank, initials, surname only. The regiment is given on the stars.

I presume the medals form part of the Royal Collection?

Perhaps a letter to the curator at Windsor Castle might bring an answer as to what is impressed on the medals as regards naming.

Cheers

Nigel

Email sent to Windsor castle this morning.

Mick

From Gordon:-

"The 14/15 star was not awarded to those who passed through a theatre of war, or only visited one. For instance, those who passed through any of the theatres as passengers, or visited them in inspections, did not qualify."

As KGV didn`t hold any executive rank, his visits can`t have had a military purpose so could be classed merely as "a visit". I appreciate that this nitpicking distinction makes little difference as to whether he got the medal!

Phil I still think its a valid point, and a point was intending to make when we got the information.

Mick

Controversy rages over the rights and wrongs of the present Queen, who strictly speaking, did not qualify for the Defence Medal, but still was awarded it and wore it at least until she 'retried' from riding at the Queen's Birthday Parade.

If I haven't got my wires crossed, she was awarded it on the insistence of her father KGVI but against the advice of Winston Churchill.

Maybe the circumstances surrounding KGV's medals are similar? Might his falling from and then being crushed by his horse count as him being wounded in theatre and let him qualify via the back door?

I hope you get a worthwhile response from Windsor Mick, pretty quick off the mark to find the right address etc!

Cheers,

Nigel

Might his falling from and then being crushed by his horse count as him being wounded in theatre and let him qualify via the back door?

Nigel

Put it this way - if Lloyd George had fallen off a horse at some place well behind the lines, would there be a case for his getting a star?

Here`s an interesting scenario. Before he was stripped of his British honours and Field Marshal`s rank, the Kaiser visited the front. He would equally qualify for a 14/15 trio! I reckon he would qualify until the Titles Deprivation Act 1917.

This lot must have got some stick

Albert Kaiser Middlesex Regiment G/9252

Albert Kaiser Middlesex Regiment G/30649

Albert Kaiser Army Service Corps M2/047885

Charles Kaiser Labour Corps 557687

Charles J Kaiser Middlesex Regiment G/36630

Edgar Kaiser Royal Field Artillery 159849

Ernest Kaiser Middlesex Regiment G/98131

Frederick H Kaiser East Yorkshire Regiment, Highland Light Infantry 3182, 202871

Frederick J Kaiser East Surrey Regiment L/13830

Gerald B Kaiser Middlesex Regiment G/80439

Harris Kaiser Labour Corps 558467

J Kaiser 1 CCL Regt 53

Joseph Kaiser Royal Field Artillery, Royal Field Artillery 2453, 771108

Joseph Kaiser Royal Fusiliers, Middlesex Regiment G30635, G30635

Joseph Fred Kaiser Royal Field Artillery, 315Bde 771108, 771108

Mick

Ive tried for a while now, can't find him....yet.

Mick

silly me, he would be in Navy records

Mick

So did I!! must be the heat.

The King was head of the armed forces, that is why he received them. He was there in an official capacity. David Lloyd George also received war medals. Amongst others, there was Robert McAlpine, of construction industry fame, who received the British War medal in his capacity as a civilian contractor building huts well behind the line.

So would the Kaiser qualify as a British Field Marshal?

I don`t think, in theory at any rate, that being there in an official capacity is quite enough. If you`re visiting, official capacity or not, you`re still visiting and not qualifying!