Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Nichols- 3rd Militia /1st Lincolnshire

Guest Tagesbach

OK - I've reached a dead end with this one, so here goes!!

My G. Uncle Pte. Joseph Nichols died fighting with the 1st. Bat. Lincs. 3.7.1916. He joined the BEF (1st Bat. LIncs) 9th Sept 1914.

I have MIC but had no luck with service records until found him joining the 3rd. Lincs. (militia) in 1900. Have now got his attestation records but unfortunately does not give any service history. Questions -

* Would he have been a reservist going over in 1914( main force went over in Aug.) & were Militia classed as reservists when they had served their time? - or is it a case he probably joined the regulars at a later date (1900ish)?

*Although joining the 3rd. Bat. Lincs. in 1900, I have him on the 1901 census as being in barracks in Fleetwood as a member of the 4th. Bat. Lincs. Did they attend annual camp with which ever Batallion was convenient, or must he have transfered?

* There are 2 entries on his MIC both for the 1st Bat. Lincs. does this mean he rejoined the battalion after a wound?

Any clues would help.

Thanks Tagesbach

Hi,

Can't help you too much but Joseph's regimental number would suggest a 1900 or 1901 entry to the Lincolns.

My understanding (which may not be correct) is that when a man joined up (in peace time) they would be attached to the depot/reserve battalion for training etc before being posted to one of the regiment's battalions.

Not sure about the 4th Lincs link-maybe a transcribing error with the census, or were regular soldiers posted to territorial/militia units for training purposes? I wouldn't have thought he would have transferred to the militia so quickly after enlisting.

The MIC question, could probably be answered by a more learned member of the forum. On my g-g-uncle's who served 1st Lincs, 8th Lincs, 6th Lincs and finally 1at Lincs again-it only shows 1st Lincs. Once under "Corps" and once under "Roll on which included". The medal roll shows each of the battalions.

Good luck,

Jim