Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What rank

neddy

Lance Corporal / Bombardier (from the single chevron stripe). I would hazard a guess at the latter due to the white lanyard.

There's a white patch above his left breast pocket. Is that a medal ribbon - or a Territorial "On Imperial Service" badge?

Looks like a couple of overseas chevrons on his right cuff with two Good Conduct Badges, marksman and a trade badge on the left cuff.

Can you do a close up of the trade badge?

Regards Charles

Badge could be a 14 ribbon but then again,maybe a Khabul to Khandahar(there is a Vic ribbon that is almost exactly the same)but that'd be impossible.

Looks more like a ribbon to me,though.

Any 'trade' badge lower left is skill-at-arms, but I cannot read it.

Imperial Service tablet was [should have been] worn right breast.

Looks like a couple of overseas chevrons on his right cuff with two Good Conduct Badges, marksman and a trade badge on the left cuff.

Can you do a close up of the trade badge?

Regards Charles

Unfortuanatly it's a copy of a copy and I can't get it any clearer, I suspect it is a photo of a John Cardell who was a lance corporal in the KOYLI, possible death in Pontefract 1916,

think this is the man,

Name: CARDALL Initials: J E Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Lance Corporal Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Unit Text: 3rd Bn. Date of Death: 07/06/1916 Service No: 3/1652 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: M. 1006. Cemetery: PONTEFRACT CEMETERY

on his monumental inscription it spells his name as Cardell

and on his medal card details Cardill.

I think we also have a wound stripe and the trade badge looks to be a horse shoe if that is the case I don't think we are looking at a KOYLI bod more RHA variety,

Cheers,

Rob

PS Medal I think is 14-15 star, not sure which and that would shoot down KOYLI option as this was issued after 1916, I think with the lanyard he is RHA,RFA or RGA-Artillery any the less!

I dont think its your man Cardell as the photo would be later than 1916, if that is the 1914/15 post war. Could the badge above his marksmans badge be Lewis Gunner.

Regards Charles

John Edward Cardell's documents are online with ancestry, he was invalided back from Rouen 29/09/1915 after being injured in an accident falling off a mail cart 21/09/1915.

REgards Charles

John Edward Cardell's documents are online with ancestry, he was invalided back from Rouen 29/09/1915 after being injured in an accident falling off a mail cart 21/09/1915.

REgards Charles

Many thanks for your information Charles and others, the photo was given by an aunt of the wife's, she had no idea who the chap was, and there not being many males on their side he could have fitted the bill, John Cardell was from Sheffield and we were wondering why he died in Pontefract, which in turn led me down this path.

Regards to all.

The man looks like a regular soldier to me, does that ring any bells.

Regards Charles

Will have to do a bit more research and see who we think is eligible, the aunt gave us three soldiers pics, the present one and these,

Amos Ward Coldstream Guards

post-27954-1210678756.jpg

Walter Ward

post-27954-1210679099.jpg

Neddy

I don’t think this can be the same man who died in June 1916, as he appears to have a wound stripe, which were introduced in July 1916.

I would agree that he looks like a regular. He is extremely smart and his jacket appears tailor-made, which is most unusual for a Lance Corporal during the war. My money is on this picture being postwar, but not by much.

Regards,

W.

The medal to 8162 ward have been on the market in last year or so