Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Costello-Recruited Northumberland

Kitty VAD

Hello all,

my mother is now busy researching her side of the family and is trying to find out about her uncle Joseph.

He was injured during WW1 (his hip was shot away) and he never returned to active service.

He did go on to run ATC units during WW2 for juniors.

All we know is that he lived nr and was recruited at Bedlington Station in Northumberland. My automatic assumption would be North. Fusiliers but I don't want

to assume!

A long shot with scant info but if anyone has ways and means, I'd be very grateful.

K

Kitty, do we presume you have followed the advice on the Long, Long Trail and come up with nothing on him?

Of course! :rolleyes:

I only post when I hit a total brick wall (or am having a bad week) :lol:

Hello 'Kitty VAD',

Is this him? Joseph Costello, Northumberland Fusiliers, 7/1289 .

Regards

Ron

the swb page should confirm the injury with a bit of luck

the swb page should confirm the injury with a bit of luck

That's him. Thank you all chaps, there are no photos of him in uniform and my mothers family seemed to either destroy most records or weren't too bothered about keeping them it seems.

He went on to live a very active life, running ATC units in WW2 and he married, but he was in constant pain, his hip had a large section missing and he wore a prosthetic leg which laced up over his other leg.

Thank you again

Kate

Interestingly, his father also served with him. Same again no more info other than his name.

James Costello. I believe that they joined up together, James Jr also joined up BUT.....he was only 15 and his mother went and reproted him to the authorities and dragged him home. ^_^

• 1 month later...