Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Uncle Willie's War Record

Lachlan07

Dear All

I'm looking for my great uncle Willie's war record. William Younger Gow from Dalnaspidal, Perthshire, born 1896. Served as 2/Lt then 1/Lt with 1/8 Btn Royal Warwicks. I believe he was awarded the MM or MC in 1919. If anyone could enlighten me on him a little I would be really grateful.

Thanks

Lachlan Gow

He was awarded the Military Cross in the King's Birthday Honours of 1919 - London Gazette 3-6-1919:

"2nd Lt. William Younger Gow, R. War. R., attd. 1/8th Bn., T.F."

http://www.gazettesonline.co.uk/ViewPDF.as...t=Younger%20Gow

Steve.

officers papers are held at the NA (Kew)

Thank you both very much for the information.

All these years I never knew he had been awarded the MC ! He was full of surprises. Unfortunately I'm in Muscat, Oman and can't get to grips easily. I'm intrigued about his story as the family came from the Dalnaspidal area of North Perthshire. My Gt. Grandfather was a deerstalker for the Duke of Atholl and one son, my grandfather James (aka Hamish / Curly), followed in the family footsteps (he became a gamekeeper). In the Great War, he joined the 6th Black Watch (51st HD).The other two sons - Willie and Donald. Willie somehow ended up as an officer in a regiment so remote from the Perthshire Highlands, I've wondered how. How did the son of a deerstalker become a subaltern ? Perhaps a kind word from the Duke of Atholl ? I can appreciate that after officer training, he was likely assigned to a regiment, in this case the Royal Warwicks. I have been told he was the only Scottish officer in his battalion and indeed may have been the only Scot - period ! I believe he stayed in the army. His daughter Betty, was born in Iran and schooled in Edinburgh (during the Lindbergh baby kidnap case, detectives travelled to her school to question her, as she shared the same name as a prime suspect !!). In WW2, again the details of his story is still a mystery to me. Betty told me that he was an officer on the staff of Gen Neil Ritchie, commanding 8th Army. When The Auk and Ritchie were replaced by Alexander and Monty, he was assigned to PI Force, guarding Iraq/Persia's oilfields against German invasion from the North (and to deter Russian advances). I don't know much more than that.

PS Donald Gow - I don't know if he served in the Great War, but he later took up a position with HSBCo in Shanghai and worked and lived there and died just before the Japanese arrived. He was buried in Bubbling Well Road (Street)cemetery.

Sorry for the boring off-topic storytelling !!! I just find it all so fascinating. (My son went to China with the school this year and I asked him to look out for Donald's old haunts - where they exist ! Hmmm - I wonder if Donald ever ventured into Bloody Alley ?. Bubbling Well Road (Street) Cemetery is no more - this foreigners' cemetery was removed by communists in 1954 and a park Jiang Park, created in its place. So today Donald's literally pushing up daisies !)

I think that the war just gave people the chance to reach their potential with out the class barrier getting in the way (or not as much)

for ww2 you might get some info from the london gazette