Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Powell MC, DCM, MM & Bar

Terry Carter

A Captain Powell enlisted as a Private in 1914 ( which Regiment I do not know) at the end of the war his home address was 99 Scholefield Street, Nechells, Birmingham. He was awarded his MC with the Berkshire Regiment. Has any Forum member got any info on him please. Or perhaps which Regiment he served in the ranks.

Thanks

Terry

Terry

I can assist with this soldier, I have made a study of the DCM winners of the Royal Berkshire Regiment. As I am under immediate pressure to take the wife shopping I will get back to you with what I've got later today. He was in the 5th Battalion

Cheers

MAC

Terry

Back from the shops now, I list below what I have on Temp Lt POWELL

106433 A/Cpl Frank POWELL M.C. D.C.M. M.M. & Bar 5th Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment.

(DCM Citation)

For conspicuous gallantry. He rallied men by his cool example and led them to the assistance of a few bombers who were being hard pressed from the front, and held on till ordered to retire.

(L.G. 14.1.1916)

As a Temp Lt with the 8th Battalion he was awarded the M.C. (L.G. 2.4.19 & 10.12.19) It read……..

‘On the 4th November 1918, during an attack on the Mormal Forest he displayed fine leadership and determination and led his Company straight to its objective, under heavy fire, while troops on either flank were unable to advance. On reaching the objective he held on with both flanks in the air for three hours, with an officer and 36 men and entirely surrounded by the enemy. Owing to his fine work, the remainder of the Brigade were able to advance.

He was reported as wounded in the Berkshire Chronicle 28th April 1916. He joined the Army in 1914 previous to which he was in the employ of a firm of Birmigham builders.

Later became Lt POWELL M.C. D.C.M. M.M. & Bar

He went to France on the 30th May 1915 with the 5th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment, and was commissioned on the 25.6.18 in the 8th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment, Entitled to the British war and Victory Medals

London Gazette date 28.9.17 Page 10033 Military Medal to Sgt F POWELL

London Gazette date 2.11.17. Page 11327 Bar to Military Medal

The Distinguished Conduct Medal ribbon was presented to him by the Div Comd on the 9.2.16.

Image attached (Not that good I'm afraid thats all we have) If you can uncover a better one in the Black country can wewe please have a copy

Cheers

MAC

post-1-1076686609.jpg

Hi Mac

Thanks for the quick and fantastic response. I take copies of the weekly roll of honour from the Birmingham Weekly Post to look at during my work breaks. And I found a brief mention of him which intrigued me.

By the way the Black Country is 'Yam Yam' territory, I,m a Brummie.

as in "orite ow yam gooing" unlike the Queen's English as spoken in Brumagem

Again thanks very much

Terry

Terry

Glad to have been of assistance, sorry about the map reading error you know what us soft southeners are like, if you uncover any R/Berks Regt gems bear us in mind

Cheers

MAC