Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Apps, A.V.C

LindaD

My Great Grandfather Joseph Apps was a private in the A.V.C. His reg. no was SE6425 and he enlisted in 1915 and was discharged in 1918. He was born in 1867 in Sunderland so he was quite old when he enlisted.

I wondered if anyone had any information about the A.V.C and where he may have been serving during those years.

My Great Grandfather Joseph Apps was a private in the A.V.C. His reg. no was SE6425 and he enlisted in 1915 and was discharged in 1918. He was born in 1867 in Sunderland so he was quite old when he enlisted.

I wondered if anyone had any information about the A.V.C and where he may have been serving during those years.

Hi Linda

I, also, have been trying to pin down my grandfather who served in the A.V.C. and have discovered that it is extremely difficult to place individuals that survived if their military records were among those destroyed during the last war. The problem is that, being a service corps, individuals were organised in small Sections that were allocated to a Division and there appears to be no general record of when and where.

I received some useful information from SteveE on a posting in 'Units & Formations' regarding service numbers. (I'm new to this site as well and haven't yet worked out how to redirect you, but it was only last week.) I thought I may get a handle from those with close regimental numbers that died but they turn up in various theatres and are obviously not in the same units. Similarly, clutching at straws, checking alphabetical enlistment didn't help.

There is some useful information on The Long, Long Trail if you haven't already found it. http://www.1914-1918.net/vets.htm. It gives a list of Sections and the Divisions they joined. From that you may be able at least to get an idea of a local situation. My grandfather lived in Greenwich, and there were several London sections, including one at nearby Woolwich, no doubt associated with the Royal Artillery. It's likely he joined there. Perhaps you can follow a similar line in Sunderland.

Also, try http://www.army.mod.uk/medical/royal_army_...story/index.htm for the history.

I had a quick look for his records on Ancestry but they don't appear, so they may have been destroyed. His MIC confirms your dates, but that's probably where you got them from. (If you didn't, let me know).

So, a lot of verbage to tell you very little, I'm afraid. If I come across anything which may be of use to you in my own research I'll post it here. Perhaps someone out there will come to our rescue.

Les

Hi Les

Many thanks for your help. I did get the dates from his MIC.

A member of our family did think that Joseph Apps was in Eygpt but not sure if this is true or not.

As you say someone else out there may come to our rescue.

Thanks again.

Linda