Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge ID

4thGordons

Can anyone ID this cap badge? His shoulder title looks like a grenade/fusiliers type badge

and from the same picture - have a guess at this one?

The reason I am interested is I have a picture of a dressing station (?) which has these two, possibly an additional scots regiment (different glens) and some French troops and I thought if I could ID all the regiments I might be able to narrow down the location of the picture by the units involved.

Long shot in the extreme, but are there any other clues? The thing in his cap might be a flower....a rose, perchance? If so, and he's obviously a Fusilier, then possibly Lancs Fusilier wearing a Minden Rose (1st August).

I'm clutching at straws (or Roses) here.......

Jock - KOSB?

Steven - thanks - my first thought when I saw it was that it looked like a flower....

Here is the complete picture if it offers any other clues to you. Several wounded French soldiers, two different patterns of dicing on the glengarries and several who do not appear to have cap badges on.

Any other observations appreciated.

Chris

Chris,

At least two of the Scots are A&SH. The two on the right of the photo--Only that unit wore that type of dicing on the Glen.

The other two could be from any of the following: Seaforth Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Royal Scots.

I would tend to say they are not Gordons or Seaforths.

Joe

Chris,

At least two of the Scots are A&SH. The two on the right of the photo--Only that unit wore that type of dicing on the Glen.

The other two could be from any of the following: Seaforth Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Royal Scots.

I would tend to say they are not Gordons or Seaforths.

Joe

Joe, Thanks - That was what I thought about the A & SH Glengarries. but have a look at picture/post 302 in this thread

where there appears to be a mix of glengarries in apparently the same unit.

Chris

Are you sure it isn't some sort of exercise.. types of injuries, 3 right eyes 2 right arms a right hand and now a leg. And they don't really look as though they have been in action.

Mick

Are you sure it isn't some sort of exercise.. types of injuries, 3 right eyes 2 right arms a right hand and now a leg. And they don't really look as though they have been in action.

Mick

No I am not - and all the bandages look very clean.....as do the men! No equipment or belts around...sounds plausible to me!

Minden rose sounds very plausible to me.