Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regent Square Memorial (Salford)

shred

I have recently received a picture of the memorial in its original condition and noticed a few obvious mistakes when it was rebuilt at Ordsall RBL.

regentsquarememorial0001Medium.jpg2431035615_f47f0a22aeMedium.jpg

You should spot two and there is one more not shown.

Regards,

Garry

I take it the two obvious ones are that the second and third stones up are not facing the same way round as they were originally.

Spot on John.

The Bottom stone is also not facing the same way. Oh how I laughed after 3 hours on Geoffs search engine with no results for the bottom three stones....grrrrrrrrr.

I went down to the Legion tonight to get pics of the correct sides and got talking to a few members, they introduced me to a guy called Geoff who informed me that he collected the bits of the memorial 20 years ago. The top was found in Buile Hill Park underneath a growth of thick brambles, the main trunk was still in Regent Square and two pieces were found in barracks in Belle Vue, great respect to him.

Due to major changes in the Ordsall area the memorial will be moved again in about 2010. I have a meeting in the morning with Ordsall RBL and hope to get more info regarding the move and a full list of all inscribed (as some are illegable).

Garry