Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SA Native Labour Corps

PhilB

Grumpy

If you want to find a photo of the greatcoat being worn with the cape, you'll have to go further back in time than 1914-1918. The pre-1902 greatcoat, charcoal grey and without shoulder straps, had buttons for a short detachable cape of the same material as the coat, and chevrons were worn by all units as stated in your post 2.

The cape attachment doesn't seem to have been used much in the Boer War, and I have only seen one picture of it in use in South Africa. Presumably it wasn't that convenient and the practice was dropped when SD was adopted. It looks as though the unit photographed above was a bit behind the times in this respect, though they don't seem to be wearing the grey coat. It also looks as if the man digging centre-left has the old red rank chevrons.

Regards,

W.

Grumpy

If you want to find a photo of the greatcoat being worn with the cape, you'll have to go further back in time than 1914-1918. The pre-1902 greatcoat, charcoal grey and without shoulder straps, had buttons for a short detachable cape of the same material as the coat, and chevrons were worn by all units as stated in your post 2.

The cape attachment doesn't seem to have been used much in the Boer War, and I have only seen one picture of it in use in South Africa. Presumably it wasn't that convenient and the practice was dropped when SD was adopted. It looks as though the unit photographed above was a bit behind the times in this respect, though they don't seem to be wearing the grey coat. It also looks as if the man digging centre-left has the old red rank chevrons.

Regards,

W.

Spot on and in just the detail we needed. Thank you.

G, this is the only chance I'm ever likely to have to tell you something about insignia, and I certainly intended to make the best of it!

The Guards (as you know) have kept the grey greatcoat to this day, along with the HAC. Whether or not these got to France with them or, as I suspect, they went straight into khaki, is something I don't know and would be interested to find out.

Thank you: they did have the drab greatcoat as an issue in peace, of course. [Yes yes, with the badges upper sleeve point down except the 4 chevron badges and the other exceptions]

It also looks as if the man digging centre-left has the old red rank chevrons.

W.

Hmmmm. A sergeant digging?

post-2329-1210692922.jpg