Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UKTV History

dpgdpg

Hi Steve, I watched it earlier this morning. I have a few questions but I'll wait until later. Don't want to spoil it.

Kind regards.

I watched with something approaching bewilderment when the story of the Imjin River action was supposedly told ... I must have been dreaming that the Ulster Rifles were there (as were a Belgian Btn. and the QRIH) ... none of those three units were even mentioned. According to the Snowmen 29th Brigade consisted of the Glosters and the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Which will come as a surprise to the Korean War veterans, who, until St. Patrick's Barracks shut down, came to Ballymena for many years to attend their main association get-together.

Which I think sums up the value of the programme.

I know what you mean Desmond. I've watched other episodes and thought, 'that's quite good'. However, even with just a little background knowledge I found myself questioning others. For example, in the Amiens episode, it was claimed that Rawlinson wanted to redeem himself after the Somme and so this great plan was hatched. Part of this was the moving barrage, which advanced x meters per minute with the troops following closely behind it.

Q. Wasn't this already thought of by someone and used very successfully by the Canadians at Vimy more than a year before?

Kind regards

I saw this tosh first time round and recall Snow the elder mentioning an 'indiscriminate' artillery bombardment. This to me

is an insult to the RA, at this tage of the war they had reached a very high standard in all aspects of bombardment.............

Its just another TV filler programe, lets not get too upset, they know not what they do.

Bob Grundy