The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Understanding a MIC doc help please

dobbin

Hi,

Which part?

Name (obvious), then two regiments - 1st London Reg & R D Fus (Royal Dublin Fusiliers I assume). He held the rank of Private in each. Next is the corresponding serial number for those regiments.

The entry "B/101B 13 1112" & "do do" relates to the medal roll - he's entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal only. The other two entries near the bottom - haven't a clue - poss something to do with correspondence the medal office received?!?

Les

evanskx2.jpg

Hi,

Which part?

Name (obvious), then two regiments - 1st London Reg & R D Fus (Royal Dublin Fusiliers I assume). He held the rank of Private in each. Next is the corresponding serial number for those regiments.

The entry "B/101B 13 1112" & "do do" relates to the medal roll - he's entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal only. The other two entries near the bottom - haven't a clue - poss something to do with correspondence the medal office received?!?

Les

evanskx2.jpg

Thanks Les it was the second part the "correspondence" which I would like an explanation on please. It appeared as if the medals were unclaimed. Colin

'dispose of medals' is a pretty loose term. When medals were returned they usually had a King's Regulations reference on the MIC from what I can tell - this MIC does not. Soldiers didn't have to 'claim' medals as such.

Thanks Patrick As he was KIA did the medals get sent to his next of kin and did "dispose of medals" intimate that they were returned or alternatively do you know if the next of kin were notified of the availability of medals and had to take them up or not or reply accordingly or not as the case may be? I dont know how the system operated. Thanks for you help. Colin