Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 09.05.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualty to its Debt of Honour database today – Friday 9th May.

Pte James Henry PERKIN

44829 Gloucestershire Regt

Died 08.12.19 Age 41

Buried: Stockport (Willow Grove) Cemetery, Cheshire, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

This case was put forward by GWF on 11.04.08 on behalf of member, John Hartley. He will fill in the details.

Pte Perkin’s grave cannot be located in the cemetery and so his name will be inscribed upon the screen wall within the grounds.

MAY HE REST IN PEACE

Well done John

Chris

It’s taken a bit of detective work to put James’ story together. He is, of course, one of “my” men listed on a Stockport area war memorial.

The South Reddish memorial is in a poor state. Unlike most memorials, where names are cast on brass panels or inscribed in stone, this one has lead letters individually fixed into the stonework. Over the years, letters have become damaged or are missing. His name is a late addition to the memorial and this small group of names around the base of the memorial seem to have suffered more than most. When I started out on the project, I relied to an extent on previous work by Carl Rogerson for his Cheshire memorials site carlscam.com. It was to lead me astray for some years in James’ case as Carl has the inscription recorded as “J H Perkinn, 10th Gloucester Regt”. I couldn’t find any likely candidate and had all but written this name up as one of the “unknowns”. Of course, when I established his true Battalion, you can see how the scraps of lead remaining of the numbers “18” could have been taken for “10”

Recently of course, new information has become available online – the medal index cards, local BMD records, etc. The latter allowed me to confirm that there was indeed a man of this name who lived and, more importantly, died locally.

James was born in the Heaton Norris area in 1877. In 1897, he married Alice Redmonds at St Mary’s Church, Heaton Norris. They set up home at 74 Weston Street, South Reddish where, by 1901, they had two children – Robert and Alice. James earned his living working in a local cotton mill as a doubler.

The MICs confirm only two men called James H Perkin served abroad and one was with the Gloucesters. He had to be my man. Forum Pal “Promenade” was able to tell me, from the service number, that James had transferred from 26th Royal Welsh Fusiliers to 18th Gloucesters. It made sense. His RWF number was not early, perhaps suggesting an older man not a youthful early volunteer. 26th RWF was a garrison battalion – again suggesting an older man.

Meanwhile I’d been waiting for his death certificate to arrive. It allowed me to finish off James’ story. In due course, James was “de-mobbed” and returned to civilian life in Stockport where he and Alice were now living at 24 Ann Street, Reddish and he was working as yarn packer. His health was poor and he died in Salford, probably in hospital, on 8 December. His death certificate records cause of death as “Stricture of the bowels and the same was due to natural causes following frequent attacks of dysentery first contracted while in war service in France.” It is the direct link between his cause of death and his army service that entitles his grave to have “war grave“ status. An inquest was held by the Salford coroner on 11 December and his body was then brought back to Stockport where it was buried at Willow Grove on the 13th.

Stockport Council also tell me that there is provision in this year’s budget for a refurbishment of the Memorial so not only will James be getting his official national recognition literally round the corner at the cemetery, but his name will be again accurately recorded on the community’s Memorial.

James Henry Perkin 1877 – 1919

NOT FORGOTTEN

Well done John.

Rest in peace James.

• 4 years later...

Tried to send a PM to John on this one, but unable to do so for some reason.

I have a small interest in the 18th Gloucesters, so happened to come across this thread...

According to the 'Soldiers of Gloucestershire' database, and his medal index card, James Perkin's Gloucestershire number was 44826 and not 44829.

The CWGC entry therefore needs correction.

• 5 years later...
On 12/08/2012 at 07:11, nhclark said:

Tried to send a PM to John on this one, but unable to do so for some reason.

I have a small interest in the 18th Gloucesters, so happened to come across this thread...

According to the 'Soldiers of Gloucestershire' database, and his medal index card, James Perkin's Gloucestershire number was 44826 and not 44829.

The CWGC entry therefore needs correction.

Was about to 'bother' CWGC about this very point when I thought to first check GWF [On the verge of sending them an e-mail asking about their record - so will hold off for a little while]

As at 16 Aug 2017 on CWGC his service number still reads 44829 = Anyone know why?

Which is his correct number? [and why]

John Hartley = perhaps one for you = on your splendid "More Than A Name", commemorative site for Stockport you use 44826 - do you have alternative knowledge/source(s)?

57 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

As at 16 Aug 2017 on CWGC his service number still reads 44829 = Anyone know why?

Presumably because no-one has told them there's an error.

11 minutes ago, John_Hartley said:

Presumably because no-one has told them there's an error.

Thanks for PMs from John Hartley and Terry Denham.

We all look forward to CWGC shortly posting his correct number of 44826

:-)