Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helping an elderly neighbour

manxmangt

I am after the medal card for a Corporal 9155 Valentine Vyse Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry he was also Corporal 28427 Wiltshire Regiment, any help would be much appreciated, my neighbour Eileen is 87 and has started telling me about her dad so I HAD BETTER COME UP WITH SOMETHING

I can only see one Valentine Vyse on the 1901 census, ten years old so the age could be good, but he's in Birmingham!

Name: Valentine A Vyse

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Frederick J

Mother's Name: Jane M

Where born: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

Civil Parish: Birmingham

Ecclesiastical parish: St Chrysostom

County/Island: Warwickshire

Registration district: Birmingham

Sub registration district: All Saints

ED, institution, or vessel: 32

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 65

Household Members: Name Age

Alfred G Vyse 8

Edward C Vyse 6

Ellen L Vyse 5

Elsie M Vyse 2 months

Frederick J Vyse 35

Harry Vyse 2

Jane M Vyse 36

Valentine A Vyse 10

Makes sense, robmoff. FreeBMD has one Eileen VYSE, mother's name HUNT, born B'ham, June 1920.

And Valentine A VYSE married Ada HUNT, B'ham, June 1915.

Jim

Thats brilliant, thanks very much, she knew her dad had signed up in about 1908 but that was all she knew, she was very impressed

Just one more thing, searching through Records Office I have come across an Augustus V Vyse No A/368882 private ASC, given that my chaps name was Valentine Augustus Vyse this is very odd, what is the significance of his service number

In Williamsons book he gives this - The A prefix for ASC denotes old army special reserve(Butchery & Bakery?)

Fusilier11

Vyse is a very old Brummie name.

He would have served with 2nd Battalion DCLI - 20 Dec 1914 is the date they sailed. 82nd Brigade, 27th Div. Had just returned from Hong Kong. Valentine was very likely to have been a serving regular.

Vyse is a very old Brummie name.

He would have served with 2nd Battalion DCLI - 20 Dec 1914 is the date they sailed. 82nd Brigade, 27th Div. Had just returned from Hong Kong. Valentine was very likely to have been a serving regular.

He was a regular, we know he signed up in 1908 on his birthday supposedly, so he had just returned from Hong Kong with a view to either sign again or be demobbed, when war broke out, the same thing happened to my father 25 years later.

I have found out that he was wounded in the thigh and had to recuperate on the Isle of White, I was wondering if he could have returned to duty as Private A/368882 RASC given that the names are identical but reversed and highly unusual. Would anyone have access to the MIC of this second soldier? I find the puzzle most intrigueing

Here's the MIC for Augustus V VYSE, ASC:

Jim

PS - I can't find an Augustus VYSE in the 1901 census, and on FreeBMD births, only one - but born in London in 1867- a tad too early, I think...