Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J Ashworth Manchester Regiment

shred

Hi Pals,

I have been trying to find a bit more info on the Reagent Square Memorial (Salford) and have come across an inscrption to J Ashworth, see below.

DSCN0692.jpg

The inscription goes on to say "died prisoner of war", yet I can find no mention of him on CWGC.

Any info would be of help.

TIA

Regards,

Garry

Garry

You may need to do some more local digging to see if you can establish perhaps his first name or if he had other names. Or a clue as to year of death

It may be that he is actually listed but under a diffferent initial. Or, of course, he may not have been serving with the Manchesters at time of death.

As he is a possible non-commemoration candidate, I'm asking a moderator to move the thread to that section. It may be that the In From The Cold project has already got an answer to the question.

John

The only J Ashworth (Mancs) listed on SDGW and GRO is the following. It could easily be him as PoWs are often recorded on the memorial nearest to their place of capture if their grave is unknown.

Name: ASHWORTH, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 20th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/10/1917

Service No: 10318

Additional information: Son of Joseph and Elizabeth Ashworth, of 181, Higher Brinksway, Stockport; husband of E. E. Ashworth.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 120 to 124 and 162 to 162A and 163A.

Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Terry,

Looks like the wrong man, the John Ashworth your search gave you is accounted for on Johns website here.

Regards,

Garry

Then, as he is not listed anywhere, perhaps he did not die, used an alternative name or he had other initials as well as 'J'.

I'd spotted "my" man - he doesnt seem to fit the bill at all. This chap seems the only likely Manc PoW who is listed:

ASHWORTH

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 07/05/1917

Service No: 1758

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. D. 9.

Cemetery: VALENCIENNES (ST.

• 4 weeks later...

Have been reading Manchester Pals by Michael Stedman, page 243 gives details for a J Ashworth 49477 22nd Battalion was awarded a MM (London Gazette 4.2.1918)

Cannot find Gazette entry or MIC on Ancestry.

Am I doing something wrong?

Shred, 49447 Ashworth J has a Medal Index Card on the NA, not all cards are on Ancestry yet (700,000 approx still to go on ) Ralph.

Shred, He is in the London Gazette number 30507 1/2/1918 49447 Ashworth J M/CRS (BURY) Ralph. (looks like you had his number as 49477 not 49447)

• 11 years later...

Had a look in the Red Cross POW records, the only J Ashworth serving with the Manchester Regiment is this man:

C_G1_E_15_01_0003_1091_0.jpg.30b2afc004195550a43421944ef0f916.jpg

No service number given, but the only John Ashworth I could find in the medal rolls who served with the 2nd Manchester Regiment was this man:

41629_611411_5692-00145.jpg.b8d128d67c0afdf1d5820124ae385c07.jpg

Which led me to this in the WFA pension records:

Fold3_Page_1.jpg.dac0f8eff5e43cb012fe77170ecf2380.jpg

This man was born in 1889 and lived at 47 Featherstall Road, Oldham. I'm not entirely convinced he's the same man on the memorial as there's no obvious Salford connection, but the pension ledger states that TB was attributable to service so he looks like a promising non-com case.

Find a Grave says that he is buried at Chadderton Cemetery: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/181254689

But having said that, I can't find him in the Oldham Council burial records: https://www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200388/cemeteries_graves_and_memorials/641/cemeteries

Edited by PaulC78

Paul

Remind me next week about this one as I know where to check for burial

Chris

Chris / Paul,

John Ashworth is already in the IFCP system.

Pte Ashworth (Born 1890) enlisted on 12/12/1915 and served overseas with 23rd & 2nd Bttns.  He was discharged 31/7/1918 with SWB, aged 28.  He received a Pension for 100% Disability for TB attributed to Service.
John died from TB on 30/5/1920, aged 30.  Reg Oldham Q2 1920 8d/685. Buried Chadderton Cem 5/6/1920. ND 138.
Son of Robert and Mary Ashworth, 47 Featherstall Ln, Oldham.

I don't think he is Garry's POW.