Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ronald Leveson-Gower

Hambo

This man was son of a local landowner and he was killed serving with the Coldstream Guards in 1917

I have his gazette details etc but he spent 18 months from 1914 to mid 1916 with the Royal Sussex and the gazette says he was with the 3rd Battalion which I assume is the reserve battalion.

Would anyone happen to know which battalion he served in while he was with the R Sussex?

Also he was wounded by a grenade in 1916 and I wonder if anyone happens to know what action he was involved in which led to his wounding

Thanks Hambo

he was with the 3rd Battalion which I assume is the reserve battalion.

John - not a Reserve Battalion but a fighting battalion with a good record on the Western Front.

Regards,

Jonathan S

John - not a Reserve Battalion but a fighting battalion with a good record on the Western Front.

Hands up which people of Sussex believe the 3rd Battalion RSR to have been a Reserve Battalion, never leaving the UK during the war? Or which of us has been thrown by the ambiguity in the question? B)

Sue

Sue - this is my fault and I put my hand up! I was reading surreptitously at work as lunch hour finished :ph34r: I am of course thinking of the 3rd bttn Coldstream Guards.

I was reading surreptitously at work as lunch hour finished

Aha! Forced to confess your sins! :rolleyes:

Sue

Hambo

Not sure of this is any help, from the Times of 6th August 1917

post-1356-1210345987.jpg

I am now at home and have checked that the 3rd RSR were indeed a reserve battalion so a pretty good stab from memory!

Still hoping to find which battalion he served with

Thanks Jonathan that's what happens if you stick your head over the parapet :P with an RSR fan lurking in the undergrowth

Steve thanks for the Times obit, very valuable. I hadn't realised that he was wounded in an accident and it gave me a couple more dates for his timeline

All the best one and all

Hambo

Name: LEVESON GOWER, RONALD CHARLES GRANVILLE

Initials: R C G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Coldstream Guards

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 01/08/1917

Additional information: Son of Granville Charles Gresham and Evelyn Mildred Leveson Gower. Born at Titsey Place, Limpsfield, Surrey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. J. 1.

Cemetery: DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY

Royal sussex 3rd battlion was reserve, and Coldstream Guards 2nd Battalion

Elliie

Thanks Ellie I have quite a bit on his early life and family etc I even have a photo but am after the RSR piece

Thanks for the thought

• 4 years later...

Just found him for you. The Battalion War Diary for the 2/RSR mentions: 21st August 1915 2.Lieut. R.C.G.G. Leveson Gower and 1 man wounded, 1 man killed whilst at bombing practise at Bois des Montanges" . At the time the battalion were out of the line and near Bethune, billeted in Faubourg D'Arras.

It appears that quite a few members of 3/RSR were posted to 2/RSR to replace casualties..... He joined the battalion on 22/05/1915.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Andy