Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Dragoon Guards

Andrew P

Hi All

I'm trying to find out more about what the 6th Dragoons were doing in March/April 1918.

I'm researching No.4384 Alfred Schonhardt who was an Imperial Reservist. He arrived in Fremantle, Western Australia in 1912 and when he was called up in 1914 he was living in Subiaco WA.

His Regimental No. later became No.20327

Alfred was listed as missing during March 1918 but was later listed as killed on the 6th of April. He is listed as being buried at Maubeuge Centre cemetery which according to CWGC holds the graves of Prisoners of War.

If any Pal can let me know of the 6th Dragoons movements during this period I would be very grateful.

Regards

Andrew

I'd be interested as well, as in one of those quirks of fate, a colleague asked me about an ancestor, John (William) Lock TOTTERDELL, who I believe was an officer in the 6th Dragoons. He had joined the Army as a private soldier before the end of the 19th Century, served in South Africa (I think) and was commissioned around WW1 (I say around, as the increasing difficulty of getting at a good set of Army Lists has made confirmation of this... problematic) and served in WW2 as well. Although the family is Cornish, his mother's address (which he gave as home in 1902) is half a mile from where I grew up, in Birmingham!

I found the following short reference today written by one of his Company

His home was in the North West Australia, he was a baker by trade. A married man with children, tall, thin, fair, about 30-36 with a fair moustache. He was in B Squadron. On 23rd March between Grandville and Noyon we were retreating hard. Schonhardt was seen to fall wounded and had to be left.’

So at least I know what general area they were now in though would still like to hear from anyone who has 6th Dragoon references from this period.

Cheers

Andrew