Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards

joseph

Hi,

I have this mans MIC entered France 15/08/1915, any help with the date he enlisted and which Battalion he joined in France.

Regards Charles

The date to France of the 4th Battalion seems more than coincidental....

4th Battalion (Pioneers)

Formed at Windsor on 17 July 1915, initially as Guards Pioneer Battalion, but soon redesignated.

Moved overseas 15 August 1915 and then joined Guards Division.

Steve.

I can confirm he was 4th Btn (later 1st) from the Btn roll

enlisted between 29/08/14 and 01/09/14 (99% sure)

Cheers Coldstreamer,

Just what I was wanting to complete a picture, any ideas on when he was posted to the 1st Bn?.

Regards Charles

I have some other details on him but they are just dates and I have as of yet not worked out what they mean - a project for later!

post-3871-1210494708.jpg

I will have to look that one up for you........

Here's a photo of Anthony Thundercliffe. He is my great uncle and brother of Henry Thundercliffe 1st/5th Bat West Yorks KIA 9th Oct 1917 at Peter Pan.

Anthony was also wounded and sent home

post-18237-1210632551.jpg

quite a result there

Anthony Thundercliffe was wounded in 1918 and sent home he was from Hull but he married his wife Annie Adams in June 1919 in Whitehaven which was 2months after his demob.

Could anyone tell me if the Coldstream guards had a barracks in Whitehaven or if there was a military hospital there this might explain how he met his wife Annie

I dont recall seeing Whitehaven any where

Perhaps Annie's family lived there and that was where she wanted to marry - she/he may well have lived somewhere else

you could check the 1901 census for her

Mick,

Do you know the date he was returned to England wounded. He could well have been sent to a Whitehaven hospital.

Coldstreamer

Any joy on when the 4th Battalion disbanded?

Regards Charles

I have a cutting from the local paper under the heading Roll Of Honour a piece about his brother Henry Francis Thundercliffe as missing KIA it also states he had a brother Pte Anthony Alfred Thundercliffe of the Coldstream Guards has been wounded and is in hospital after serving three years in France, this was dated Wed July 31st 1918.

I know from the family heresay he was thought to have met his wife Annie Adams in Whitehaven, she had 6 brothers, she being the only girl , all who were Cumbrian wrestlers and she was a sparring partner for them.

This is the reason I was trying to find out if he was in hospital there or if the Coldstreams had a barracks there.

Just for the record they also had a brother George Thundercliffe who was serving on minesweepers in the Navy

i havent a clue what the numbers mean - Ive compared anothers to his papers are no dates/numbers match