Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PTE R SYME 277406 7th Bn Argylle & Sutherland

Rob Syme

I am researching my great uncle 277406 PTE Robert Syme 7th Bn Argylle & Sutherland highlanders. To date I have the details from CWGC, details of his death and grave etc but would welcome any other service details if any of you kind members have access to such things via Ancestery etc.

Kind Regards

Rob :rolleyes:

Rob

Here's his Medal Index Card.....

• 2 weeks later...

Rob

I do and it doesn't :( .

Steve

Seems he won the MM?

From the Scottish National War Memorial site:

Surname SYME

Firstname Robert

Service Number 277406

Date Death 25/07/1918

Decoration M.M.

Place of birth Edinburgh

Other 1/7th Bn.

SNWM roll THE ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Ian

1901 census

Name: Robert Syme

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899

Relationship: Son

Father's Name: Thomas

Mother's Name: Helen

Where born: Edinburgh, Midlothian

Registration Number: 685/1

Registration district: St George

Civil Parish: Edinburgh St Michael

County: Midlothian

Address: 1 Gibson Terrace

ED: 117

Household schedule number: 18

Line: 18

Roll: CSSCT1901_368

Household Members: Name Age

Helen Syme 25

Helen Syme 4

Robert Syme 2

Thomas Syme 27

Ellie

No Service Record - it won't be online yet as it is under "S" and the Service Records online have only reached "H".

However from a similar man's records.

Enlisted into / transferred to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, c. 19-6-1916

(Hugh Armour, M.M., 5680/277400 7th A&SH, transferred* to the 7th A&S Highlanders on 19-6-1916 having attested under the Derby Scheme 10-12-1915 and previously served with the 4th (Regular Reserve) battalion from 11-2-1916 as No. S/16011, and embarked to France on the same day 19-6-1916).

* "Transferred under Authority W.O. Tel. 975 (a.G. 2a) d/15-6-1916 and to mantain his former rate of pay."

This may well have been the date that Robert went to France, but can't be guaranteed. Robert may have served with a different battalion before the 7th as well, but again we can't be sure. We would need to find a bigger group to form evidence of a batch transferring and going to France at the same time in order to give as more confidence in the possibility.

Also:

John Dunning, 5681/277401 7th A&SH, transferred* to the 7th A&S Highlanders on 19-6-1916 having attested under the Derby Scheme 8-12-1915 and previously served with the 4th (Regular Reserve) battalion from 14-2-1916 as No. S/16067, and embarked to France on the same day 19-6-1916.

An alternative scenario:

Alexander Donaldson, 5707/277425 7th A&S, attested 28-11-1915, mobilised 20-6-1916 and posted to 3/7th A&S Highlanders, to France via Folkestone & Boulogne on 18-11-1916, 19th Infantry Base Depot, Etaples 19-11-1916, joined 1/7th Bn. 12-12-1916, Missing 20-9-1917. KIA 1/7th Bn., 20-9-1917.

There could also have been any number of other possibilities, especially if health reasons or the like affected him and he was held back in England, but a transfer to France during the 2nd half of 1916 looks likely.

Does Soldiers Died give any former Regimental numbers, by the way?

Steve.

All, Steve,

Wow thanks for all the info. Very interesting to see those guys whose service number are very near to Robert's were transferred from regular to TF regiments to deploy. I have no details of his deployment to France but the dates would appear correct given he would have been 18 in 1916. Sorry for my ignorance but nut sure what Soldiers Died realte to. I note from the MIC you provided his service number appears to be prefixed 5686 - what would this relate to? Alo on the Ancestery free search a separate mic appears against 5686 too but do not have access to the details (MM possibly??)

Kind Regards

Rob

Rob,

All the T.F. men were initially numbered by battalion (starting at 1 in 1908 and numbering sequentially). By 1914 most TF battalions had reach 2000+ in numbering. In 1917 these men were renumbered in new series of 6-digit numbers allocated by regiment/battalion. The 7th Battalion of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders were allocated numbers 275001 to 300000. The men were renumbered in the same order that they were originally numbered (but men who had definitely died or had been fully discharged from the army were not renumbered).

Hence, Robert was (technically*) the 5686th man to join the 7th battalion after 1908, and the 2406th man (277406 - 275000) to be renumbered in 1917.

* There are always exceptions in the Army!

Steve.

• 10 years later...
On 08/05/2008 at 22:23, Rob Syme said:

I am researching my great uncle 277406 PTE Robert Syme 7th Bn Argylle & Sutherland highlanders. To date I have the details from CWGC, details of his death and grave etc but would welcome any other service details if any of you kind members have access to such things via Ancestery etc.

Kind Regards

On 08/05/2008 at 22:23, Rob Syme said:

Kind Regards

Hi Rob

I am Robert’s niece through my father Alexander Syme who was Robert’s brother.At the moment my nephew has Robert’s Military Medal, I have found online (Ancestry or Forces War Records) a letter from Thomas Syme to Army Records saying they had put wrong service number on medal.

PS I have only discovered this site today.

• Admin

Rob hasn't visited the forum since 2009. Once you have made two posts you can try sending a personal message to him. Assuming he is still using the same email address he should pick it up. I have also removed your email address from public view 

Michelle