The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Provisional Yeomanry Squadron TF

Chris_Baker

A little obscure, this one. Can anyone tell me where the 5th Provisional Yeomanry Squadron TF might have been based in the period February to June 1916?

• 2 years later...

I have recently received a copy of the Nominal Roll dated 10/3/1916 plus correspondence, and this confirms the location as Lowestoft/Oulton Broad, as part of my research into the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars.

What I do not know is what was the function/purpose of the 5th Provisional Yeomanry Squadron ? Many of the men on the roll are annotated with Gloster, Warwick, Berks, Worcester Yeomanries.

Can you tell me any more Chris ?

MC

• 11 years later...
On 16/07/2010 at 17:36, Mike Cross said:

I have recently received a copy of the Nominal Roll dated 10/3/1916 plus correspondence, and this confirms the location as Lowestoft/Oulton Broad, as part of my research into the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars.

What I do not know is what was the function/purpose of the 5th Provisional Yeomanry Squadron ? Many of the men on the roll are annotated with Gloster, Warwick, Berks, Worcester Yeomanries.

Mike,

I have just come across this thread. I'm researching the Royal Glos Hussars and any info you have on RGH men on the 5th Prov Yeo Sqn Nominal Roll would be of great interest to me.

Thanks,

Clive

11 hours ago, clivebow said:

Mike,

I have just come across this thread. I'm researching the Royal Glos Hussars and any info you have on RGH men on the 5th Prov Yeo Sqn Nominal Roll would be of great interest to me.

Thanks,

Clive

Give me a day or two and I will try and post some images of the Roll.

Mike

Mike,

Terrific - many thanks indeed.

Clive

6 hours ago, clivebow said:

Mike,

Terrific - many thanks indeed.

Clive

I have dug out a rather poor photocopy of the Roll and have sampled a few names.  As an example I can tell you that Thomas Belgin S/No 1873 was at Lowestoft on 10/3/1916 and is recorded as Category E and marked 'No Duty'.  His MIC reveals that he was discharged a couple of months later 'no longer physically fit for war service'.  Information about the men is generally limited to name, number, Category and 'How Employed'.

I need to improve scans to make them more easily readable.  Back soon.

MC

Clive.

This has been copied from my working copy of the handwritten roll so includes various notes and scribbles.  Page one of eight.  Quite a few of the Gloc are identified and I hope this helps you.

Mike

LT Roll.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Many thanks indeed for the time you have spent digging this out and posting it. It is very useful!

Apologies for the delay in responding - I was expecting sone sort of notification from the site to say you'd posted a response, so I haven't been checking regularly enough. 

Many thanks again,

Clive