Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian Trenchmaps

CROONAERT

A few months ago, I was shown an image of something completely new to me - Belgian Army trenchmaps. These were all dated (if I recall correctly) September 1918 so I thought that maybe they just produced them towards the end of the war. However... today, I obtained a small batch of Belgian trenchmaps (basically covering the frontline area from Tervaete , north of Dixmude, down to Hooge and the Menin Road) all dated July 1917 (and it appears that one (incomplete map) that I thought was French which has been in my collection for some time is also Belgian (and dated July 1917 too!)).

Now my question... does anyone know when the Belgian Army first started producing trenchmaps indipendantly of any other army? Has anyone seen any that pre-date July 1917?

Cheers.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Now my question... does anyone know when the Belgian Army first started producing trenchmaps indipendantly of any other army? Has anyone seen any that pre-date July 1917?

Thanks to my posting a similar question on www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/, I now know that the Belgians had their own trenchmaps (marked "Armee Belge") at least as early as November 1916 (and had active Army topographical units in 1915, though whether these , or the French Army Service Topographique produced the trench maps , I'm still unsure).

So, to re-phrase the original question... has anyone seen any Belgian trenchmaps that pre-date 1st November 1916 ?

dave

• 3 weeks later...

Dave

This does not answer your question but there are 7 Belgian Army maps from August and November 1917 attached to the War Diary of the AIF 36th Heavy Artillery Group HQ for November 1917. You can find them on the AWM site here

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/AWM4/13/A...-25-22part3.pdf

I hadent seen Belgium maps before and remembered this post.

Tim B

• 1 month later...

Hello Dave,

I am looking for a Belgian trench map or part of it, showing the sector North of Diksmuide, with Belgian and German outposts in the flooded country between Stuivekenskerke and Diksmuide ( W of Yser)

Best regards,

Cnock

Egbert,

Thank You for the info!

Best regards,

Eddy

• 5 weeks later...

In 'Topography of Armageddon' Chasseaud notes that the BEF used 1 : 20000 and 1 : 40000 Belgian national survey maps for reproduction from October 1914; later 1 : 10000 maps were used with coloured overprinting. They still seemed to be using redrawings in late 1917.

On the other point, curiously, my only Belgian map is dated 1st July 1917! It was the work of the Service Topographique de l'Armée and in the bottom left hand corner is printed "Revision des détails planimetriques par C. Van Muysen le 12 mars 1917" Wonder who Van Muysen was?. The map covers the Steenstraat area and is 1 : 10000

The Belgians must surely have produced their own maps before July 1917, they'd been in the field long enough. Besides, having inundated vast tracts of their precious land, they would be the only ones likely to know the extent. German aircraft would have found it difficult to spot bog and marsh from the air. Might be worthwhile hunting for these maps

• 1 month later...

Just acquired several Belgian trench maps, the oldest is from ..1st July 1917.

Regards,

Cnock

A few months ago, I was shown an image of something completely new to me - Belgian Army trenchmaps. These were all dated (if I recall correctly) September 1918 so I thought that maybe they just produced them towards the end of the war. However... today, I obtained a small batch of Belgian trenchmaps (basically covering the frontline area from Tervaete , north of Dixmude, down to Hooge and the Menin Road) all dated July 1917 (and it appears that one (incomplete map) that I thought was French which has been in my collection for some time is also Belgian (and dated July 1917 too!)).

Cheers.

Dave

Sended a while ago a request for some trenchmaps (Tervaete ie Steenstraete) to "Het Legermuseum" in Brussels (as I had the chance and the honour to do my military service way back in the 70's in het "eerst Regiment Grenadiers"... and got soon thereafter a simple reply as of BEFORE LATE 1915 there was not any Army Topografical Cards done by the Belgian Army ... So as I interpretted their answer ... Original BELGIAN TRENCH MAPS from before 1916 are NOT EXISTING ...

• 5 weeks later...
... So as I interpretted their answer ... Original BELGIAN TRENCH MAPS from before 1916 are NOT EXISTING ...

yes - the earliest that I've now come across are dated November 1916. I wonder if there are any of earlier in the year though?

Dave.

• 4 years later...
...the earliest that I've now come across are dated November 1916. I wonder if there are any of earlier in the year though?...

In answer to my own question (though it's been a long time in coming) - I've recently obtained some dated 25th January 1916.... and I presume that I'm now getting somewhere near to the earliest date!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for keeping us updated on your search to find the earliest Belgian trench maps Dave.....

regards

Tom

Thanks Dave and Tim, I hadn't seen a Plan Directeur series, so thanks for the download link. Cheers, Bill

• 4 years later...

OK... 4 years down the line (and nearly 9 since the original query!) and I finally get my mitts on a 1915 Belgian Army trench map! (Thereby blowing my last theories out of the water!!!)

Dated 20th September 1915, this particular map covers the area between Nieucappelle in the north and Steenstraat in the south. Though no Belgian/French positions are shown, the German trenches and battery positions are shown in some detail from Steenstraat to just above Drie Grachten...  Looks like the hunt for the earliest date will have to continue now!!!! :unsure:

Dave

11.jpg

Edited by CROONAERT

4 years down the line...! now that's what I call dedication Dave..... Or....like a dog with a bone....just won't let go...!!

best regards

Tom

• 6 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 18:13, CROONAERT said:

...Dated 20th September 1915,  ... 

Probably at risk of giving my quest the 'kiss of death' (whereby I'm now almost guaranteed to find an earlier date!), I've opted for September 1915 being the earliest dated Belgian trench map as that month coincides with the Belgian Army establishing their (inherited) presses at Veurne after their relocation from Roesbrugge.

For anyone interested, I've written a very short section on Belgian (and French) trench mapping (following the usual guff about British maps) on the trench map introduction page on my website. It can be found (towards the bottom of the page)  by clicking the link here ...  TRENCH MAPS

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Croonaert,

I don't know if you can help on this one, I hope so.  Following on from my MiD topic posted a few weeks ago, awarded for the rescue of a Belgian Officer I think I've narrowed down to when and where the action took place resulting in the award:

From 21st to 30th March two Companies of 8th North Staffords were at the Hollandsche Schuur Salient NW of Wijtschaete,  supporting the 10th Queens and 26th Royal Fusiliers.

You mention that most of your maps date from 1st July 1917 but do any of your Trench Maps from around this period show the Belgian Army in this area?

tot ziens

Philip

Hello,

No Belgian units anywhere near Wytschaete, I'm afraid...

Jan

22 hours ago, Interested said:

...do any of your Trench Maps from around this period show the Belgian Army in this area?

Unless annotated (usually by hand), Trench Maps don't generally show units. Though the Belgian Army did produce trench maps of the Wytschaete area, they are usually dated 1918 but, as Jan says, there were no Belgian units (other than artillery*) as far south as Wytschaete in 1917 anyway. 

However, that does not, of course, rule out the possibility of observation officers being in the vicinity

*Several Belgian units served south of 'their area' throughout the war... 1 battery of 155 howitzers (which was, later, to become part of the 15e Regt.Artillerie) was attached to the French near Roye (Somme), taking part in actions in the vicinity in March 1917;  59 & 60 batteries of the 94e Regt Artillerie was attached to the French for a period from January 1915;  3 batteries of 16 Regt.Artillerie were attached to the Brits , as were elements of 6e Regt Artillerie who partook in 1915 engagements at Hill 60 and St.Eloi. There is also the (memorialised in Ieper) '13 Belgian Field Artillery' which served in the Ypres salient with the British from May 1915 to May 1917 ('Hooge', 'Hill 60', 'Bluff', 'Wijtschaete', 'Mesen', etc)... and this doesn't count the Tolkenkorps (interpreters attached to the Brits and Yanks in various areas) and the Spoorwegbataljon der Genie that, in 1917, could be found in the Somme/Oise region reconstructing destroyed rail tracks and bridges on the Ribecourt-Noyon, Flavy - le Martel Tergnier and Ham - Foreste lines.

Dave

Hi Croonaert,

Thanks for replying; more informative than Jan's, which appeared to shut the door on my avenue of research.  The Croix de Guerre Belge and accompanying Certificate were awarded, so there must have been a Belgian National in the same area as my Grandfather at some time.

Your mention of the Spoorweg bataljon der Genie repairing railway tracks has thrown up another possible alternative;  the first week in March 1917 the Battalion was employed in laying a railway line in Courcelles having been moved there from Puisieux-au-mont.

I'll need to have a look at some maps but I'm not sure if this coincides with the railways you mention.

Again, thanks for helping.

Philip

2 hours ago, Interested said:

Your mention of the Spoorweg bataljon der Genie repairing railway tracks has thrown up another possible alternative;  the first week in March 1917 the Battalion was employed in laying a railway line in Courcelles having been moved there from Puisieux-au-mont.

I'll need to have a look at some maps but I'm not sure if this coincides with the railways you mention.

Courcelles and Puisieux are nearly 30 miles as the crow flies from the nearest stretch of railway that the Belgians were working on, so it's doubtful that they are related.

Dave