Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

104 Heavy Battery RGA

Guest Gazunder

Can anyone throw any light on this unit, I have looked in the Artillery section and I cannot see it listed there, my grandfather, Gunner Albert Edward Lucas served in this Battery which I think was in Mesopotamia in 1917 where he was WIA.

TIA

Gazunder (Australia)

The 104th Heavy Battery, RGA went from India to Mesopotamia on 5 March 1916. It joined the III Indian Corps Heavy Artillery Brigade on 17 Feb 1917 and was attached to the 14th Indian Division from 18 April 1918 to 10 May 1918. It transferred to the 38th Heavy Artillery Group on 15 May 1918 and remained with it for the duration of the war.

The war diary of the 104th Heavy Battery for the period March 1916 to May 1918 can be found at the National Archives (PRO) under WO95/5077 and for the period June to November 1918 can be found under WO95/4994.

Regards. Dick Flory

• 4 years later...

General Farndale in the RA History lists the 104th Heavy Battery as having 4-inch guns in Mesopotamia. Would these have been the BL jointed gun or the 30-pounder, both "special for India" ? Hogg & Thurston's 1972 book has a 1909 photograph of gunners in India with a 30-pounder, posing with a partly-obscured board saying ..6 (HB) RGA Nowconc India. Is this the 86th Battery, and did the men in this picture take their guns to Messpot ? Farndale has the 86th using 5-inch guns in Mesopotimia, but.. ?

Another alternative is that the 104th Battery could have had naval BL 4-inch Mk VII guns on a travelling carriage that was apparently used by the Royal Marine Artillery... ?

thanks

Rod