Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For gallant conduct in the field

carolm

Hi everyone,

Yesterday a man sent me a transcript of a document relating to an award/commendation of some kind for gallant conduct in the field, given to his great grandfather in 1918. I don't know what it is. I asked if I could get an image of the original, but was told it was too feint to be seen on a copy.

I assumed it would relate to MID, but there is nothing on the man's MiC to support this and I also checked to see if there were two cards. Can only find the one.

The month of the action was not legible - only 23rd ...1918 could be read. Chris (4thGordons) suggested October as the likely date, as 1st Gordons were in action near Romeries on that day.

Here is the transcription and description of the document provided by the relative:

"At the top of the page it has a crest with a deers head on it with Gordon

Highlanders written below it.

There are two lines made up of dots below that with 11863, Cpl W. Hay on one

line and 1st Bn The Gordon Highlanders below that.

In heavier print below that is:

Your Gallant Conduct in the Field on 23rd [October?] 1918 (date hand written) has

been reported to me, and I have placed it on record with great pleasure.

There is a row of dots below that with a hand written name on it which I

can't make out, [Lieut Col Fraser?] then below that it has Commanding, then on a new line, 1st Bn The

Gordon Highlanders.

Next line has, In the Field, 19th December 1918."

The MiC holds no clues.

post-5583-1210220331.jpg

I know little about awards. Was this something "below" MID in the hierarchy of such things?

If anyone knows what it is, or can suggest another possible date, or has any other details (from the War Diary for example) I'd love to hear, as would the man's great grandson in NZ.

Cheers

Carolyn

I have two gallantry cards awarded to men who served in the 55th West Lancashire Division; both went on to receive the MM. I do not know of an example where the card was awarded without a subsequent gallantry award being received.

Mark

post-213-1210235076.jpg

Carolyn

Similar certificates were awarded by HQ Tank Corps to those soldiers who actions deserved recognition but who were not awarded either an MIC or other gallantry award

Stephen

Could it be similar to this Carolyn , this did bring the award of the MM.

Colin

The piece at the bottom of the above card is interesting:

"It does not follow that your name will be submitted to higher authority"

Which suggests that an award may not be forthcoming.

Quite so, however in the case of Pte. Graves the MM was awarded & is now in the care of the Royal Fusiliers having been donated by his daughter.

Cheers.

Colin

I do have one or two mentions in war diaries were theese "Parchments" were awarded, yet no MM was forthcoming, but it was unusual - and no doubt galling for the 1 man out of 10 who didn't get a medal to go with his parchment certificate.

Steve.

I have seen reference to a man of the Liverpool Pals (18th King's) who received a Divisional Gallantry Card but nothing further. I think that they were quite commonly awarded without a further award following. Bear in mind that a recommendation for an award wasn't always successful.

An auction for a Divisional Gallantry Card has just ended

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:B:BCA:US:1123

And it appears that he was awarded the MM:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...t=&similar=

Ken

Thanks everyone for all your replies. The examples were all very interesting. It looks like what he received was either some sort of commendation that didn't rate a medal - just the card/certificate, or he was recommended for something but it didn't succeed.

Again, thanks

Carolyn

Thanks everyone for all your replies. The examples were all very interesting. It looks like what he received was either some sort of commendation that didn't rate a medal - just the card/certificate, or he was recommended for something but it didn't succeed.

Again, thanks

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Such certificates, awards and citations are regulated now and I would be very surprised if they were not then. There should be records somewhere stipulating what the requirements were and how the issue was processed. This subject usually comes under the term Military Secretariat (MS) and such matters would have been published as instructions at Army, Divisional and Brigade level.

Thanks for that response. Would the instructions you mention be available somewhere accesible? I managed to get hold of the 1st Bn War Diary for December 1918 and found a reference to the distribution of "Gallantry Cards" which I'd never heard of before, but which I take to be the thing given to Cpl Hay. I still am not sure if it was given with the assumption that a medal might follow, or the Card was the award itself - ie instead of a medal.

post-5583-1210409846.jpg

Carolyn

Hello Carolyn,

I think you have Listened to the wise words of the other "Pals" and reached the right conclusion. I am sure what you are looking at is an "Honour Card". The man was involved in an action probably worthy of a Medal but there were limits to number that could be put forward. If you put "Adnitt" in the search box in the Soldiers section of the forum all will be revealed.

Regards Mike Jones

Thanks Mike,

The examples shown in that link were very informative.

Carolyn