Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Clogg Royal Field Artillery at Doiran 1918

Guest auntynellie

Guest auntynellie

I am trying to find out more about Corporal 865857 C.S. (Stan) Clogg Royal Field Artillery (TF) who was mentioned in a despatch from General Sir George Milne dated 1.11.1918. I found the document recently in some family files and it intrigued me greatly...I have tracked down the London Gazette entry no. 31152 January 1919. By researching General Milne and the date I guess it is likely that Cpl Clogg was involved in the battle of Doiran and I would like some pointers as where to go next. I have read some on-line accounts of that campaign. He survived the war and I remember him very vaguely...I guess that would be about 40 years ago.

Welcome to the forum.

Here is his Medal Index Card from the National Archives - Link: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=21

Description Medal card of Clogg, C S

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 1554 Gunner

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/4

You will note the different number. It may be that the number you quote above is a result of being renumbered later in the war. You can download this card for Pnds 3.50 - there is a colour version on Ancestry.com which also gives a copy of the back of the card. That sometimes carries correspondence info/adresses, but not to count on that.

You could best start by looking at the linked site (top of page) - The Long Long Trail - which gives research info.

Ian