Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

who pinched the E

john w.

Ok PALS.... put the deerstalker on and grab a pipe and sit down..

I cant work this out and its driving me nuts :angry:

As you are aware I am trying to sort out the name inclusion for Archibald Brown(e) 8278 2nd Batt Essex Regt, SAD Dec 19th 1914 for desertion, plunder and escaping custody.

The problem lies in this he is listed with the following as Archibald Browne

Julian Putowski, Shot at Dawn

CWGC

Family Records Centre, went there today and asked for his death certificate... and before you ask Im not going to sell it on ebay for a great profit.

However

PRO trial papers have him as Archibaald Brown

No attestation papers, looks like they went up in the blitz

Confused about the 1901 Census as I cannot find him, there are few Brownes but a lot more Browns one Archibald aged 13 which would be right, mind you I dont even know where he lived in 1901. I dont think he was born in or around Ingatestone

Ok Sherlocks.. what now? Brown or Browne confirming evidence, all suggestions greatfully received....

Thoughts of needle and haystack come to mind....

John

Cheers Will never thought of looking online...

Have a look at the attached to see my confusion.

8278 Essex Regt is the right one... so what now?

1901 Census is hard to find where he lived... Know he lived in Ingatestone at time of war... but unsure before then. Few Archibald Brownes aged 13 in 1901... real puzzler.

Have ordered his death cert from Family record centre

John

post-1-1076715398.jpg

Ok

I have tried the 1901 Census and there is no one listed as Archibald Browne aged 13 at the time....

Now what? any suggestions? ;)

John

There were 3 Archibald Brownes roughly the right age in the England and Wales 1901 census, as ages given at that time were sometimes inaccurate. Unfortunately, none of them fit!

Archibald Browne 11 B London Kensington RES: Kent Hayes Entire (Not him. Mother called Anne)

Archibald Browne 15 B Ireland RES:Grimsby Lincoln Great Grimsby (Not him. Mother called Alice)

Archibald Browne 9 B Camberwell London RES: Middlesex Willesden (It's definitely not this chap. He was killed in 1917)

I think that it is possible that his surname might have been recorded as Brown in the 1901 census. Another possibility might be that he was living outside England and Wales in 1901. (I have come across quite a few Brownes in Scotland so I had a quick look, but the only reference to an Archibald Browne was in 1915).

One last thought.... if you haven't already explored this avenue, try the Essex Regimental Museum. The chap there is unbelievably helpful.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

AGWR

John

Have been thinking about this for a couple of days..................Have you checked whether Archibald Browne is listed on SDGW as I understand that some SAD cases were (this I believe was dependent on Regiment). If he is, his place of birth may be listed. This in turn could help in any further investigation via the 1901 census.................Possibly a blind alley I know, but it's the best I've been able to come up with.

Will m8

Have succumbed to the fact that it is Browne... got the medal index card and ordered his death certificate.... am going to see the keeper of the Essex regt archives today at 10... will report back later...

John

Have succumbed to the fact that it is Browne... got the medal index card and ordered his death certificate.... am going to see the keeper of the Essex regt archives today at 10... will report back later...

John...........Look forward to seeing what you've been able to dig up from the archive.