Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Suvla Bay

gem22

I will be spending a few days walking the Suvla Bay battlefield starting on 26 May 2008 and ending on 29 May 2008. If any Forum Member would like photos of the area or particular cemetery/headstone please feel free to ask.

It is possible that I might have time to visit ANZAC cemeteries as well but PLEASE do not ask for any from the Helles area or associated landing places/battlefields. It is my experience that a refusal can cause offence and so I will not respond to such requests.

Those Pals who have previously put in a request need not reply to this posting - you are on my list.

Garth

If it's possible a view of Kiretch Tepe would make me a very happy bunny :)

Thanks, Garth

Norrette

Anything you can take from point 28 towards the buildings of Anafarta Sakir, the direction of advance of 163 Brigade 12/8/15, would be much appreciated.

Gareth

Hi,

I'm not sure how possible this is, but if one can take a shot across the Salt Lake towards Green Hill / Scimitar Hill I'd appreciate that (I'm assuming that to be the line of attack adopted by 158 Brigade 53 Div in August 1915).

As a secondary request, if you do go to Anzac and have the time to visit Shrapnel Valley Cemetery, could I please have a shot of the following:

Hughes, R.J. Pte 13175 Royal Welsh Fus., died 12 August 1915.

Grave ref. IV.F.3

however, please make this request dependent on your timetable - no problem if you can't do it.

Have a good trip,

LST_164

Garth

This is very exciting - I am hopelessly at 6's and 7's over the topography of this area.

(1) Could you copy me in on Bob's request for a picture of Lala Baba (preferably taken from the west i.e. sea side)

(2) Also a picture from Lala Baba looking towards Chocolate Hill

(3) Then a picture taken from Chocolate Hill taking in Scimitar Hill and if possible W Hills (so as to tell which is which).

(4) The reverse shot - the view from Scimitar Hill taking in Chocolate Hill and Lala Baba.

I am finding it virtually impossible to match up aerial photos with maps and sketch maps - your pictures should resolve some of the issues. I really appreciate your kind offer - I hope I am not asking for too much.

Enjoy your trip. I am very envious.

Kind regards

John Shephard (son of Gallipoli / Suvla veteran)

Hello Garth,

Very envious you have some time walking the Suvla battlefield. My father in law was with the 6 East Lancashires and we would also love to receive the photos John has requested, as we know Oliver was in the trenches at Chocolate Hill when it snowed before the evacuation of the Peninsula. I can then go back and make some sense of the geography in the regimental diary.

I too have someone in Shrapnel Valley, but understand the time constraints.

Safe travel

Cheers

Shirley

John, I am interested in the aerial photos and sketch maps you refer to. Are these in published books?

Hello Garth

Thanks for the very kind offer, could I join with Shirley and receive the photos John/Bob have requested. I still cant quite get my head round the distance between Scimitar, Green and Chocolate Hills and how they look from the Salt Lake.

I hope you have a great trip.

Moriaty

John, Shirley and Moriaty.

I'll do what I can. I'm pretty well planning to do a photo journal of the area I walk with a view to publishing it in the Great War Magazine. Those photos you have asked for are more or less obligatory.

Shirley whose headstone do you want photographed? If I have time I'll get a picture. If I don't get time I can at least let you have a copy of photos of the cemetery from my library collection of my last trip.

Garth

Thanks Garth,

Private Malcolm Teesdale Smith

10th Bn. AIF, died 27 April, 1915,age 25,

Very much appreciated

Cheers

Shirley

a view to publishing it in the Great War Magazine.

Doh... does this mean there is a current periodical devoted to the Great War that I had no idea about :wacko:

norrette

Norrette

Putting it mildly -YES. Contact www.greatnorthernpublishing.co.uk

I've been a subscriber right from the beginning and thoroughly enjoy the mag

Garth

John, Shirley and Moriaty.

I'll do what I can. I'm pretty well planning to do a photo journal of the area I walk with a view to publishing it in the Great War Magazine. Those photos you have asked for are more or less obligatory.

Shirley whose headstone do you want photographed? If I have time I'll get a picture. If I don't get time I can at least let you have a copy of photos of the cemetery from my library collection of my last trip.

Garth

And me please. I may not get to Lala Baba ( Long story - getting old!!!)

I would be happy to pay for a disk with photos as per John's list.

Have a wonderful trip and say hello to the Notts & Derby men when you see them (Although not many have a known grave)

steve m

Garth and Shirley

Many thanks Garth - I will look forward to seeing the pictures as and when. You are a grand lad.

Shirley

Not sure if I'm breaking any forum rules or whether this should be in another thread. But briefly as regards aerial photos, try copying and pasting this into your browser:

http://itouchmap.com/?p=kucukanafarta&...amp;t=l&r=b Then click on the 'Satelite' button.

Locate what I believe is the Green Hill cemetery to the E of Salt Lake (at first glance it looks a bit like a tennis court). Using this as the centre of the clock with 12 O'clock being due north, I suspect that Chocolate Hill is at 8 O'clock, W Hills at 4 O'clock and Scimitar at 2 O'clock. The map I am using for guidance is the one that comes with Major & Mrs Holts Battlefield Guide to Gallipoli, but you will find more maps in search engines on the net especially the AWM site. As regards pictures, when on the itouchmap site, click on the maps button and then the 'Show photo's' bar. You will find the map becomes populated with miniature thumbnails. Click on these for the views. However, all should become clearer after we see Garth's pictures.

Apologies to others for any breach of protocol,

Kind regards

John

Thanks John, brilliant (and frustrating) way to spend a saturday afternoon! We visited there very briefly in 2005, literally 4 cemeteries and Suvla beach over the sand dunes, and found out afterwards more details of where Oliver had been. He had last seen his younger brother on the jetty at Suvla, before he was killed at the Battle of Jutland. His brother, Humphrey, had been a midshipman on the Canopus.

Cheers

Shirley

Shirley

If you are still checking out this thread, there is one site I should have mentioned for really first class images of the Suvla sector:

www.gallipoli.com.tr

Follow links to The Observation Post, then Suvla.

I must have been having a 'senior moment' in my previous post. However the site, run by Eric Goosens is very well known, so you will probably have visited it already.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Garth,

Please copy me in for pictures of this area

My grandfather was with the 10th Irish and was on Kiretch Tepe and Chocolate/Green Hills

Have been unable to find anything showing Kidney Hill which seems to be a feature on the South side of Kiretch Tepe and was one focus of the 10th Irish attack, and a picture would be much appreciated if you are able to locate it!

A photo of Green Hill from Chocolate Hill would also be appreciated if possible

Thanks and enjoy your trip

Andy

Andy

That shouldn't be a problem. Kidney hill is roughly due east of Jephson's post and SE of The Boot. I was a feature of the Turkish fortifications on Kiretch Tepe. It is shown quite well on the Naval and Military Press CD of official history Maps (Other Theatres).

Garth

Garth

Could you put me on the list for a general view of the bay and Lala Baba Hill. I am interested in the 6th Yorkshire involvement.

regards

David

Hi Garth,

You will be leaving very soon I expect, best of luck with everything, safe travel, fine weather and perfect photos! I have received my lad in Shrapnel Valley, so don't worry about that one. Look forward to seeing all the views in, around and up and down Suvla :) .

Cheers

Shirley

Pals

I AM CLOSING THIS THREAD TO ANY FURTHER REQUESTS. I DON'T WANT TO RISK MISSING ANY REQUESTS FOR PHOTOS THAT MAY COME IN AT THE LAST MOMENT AND GET OVERLOOKED.

HOPEFULLY I WILL BE ABLE TO GET ALL THE PHOTOS THAT HAVE BEEN ASKED FOR AND, ALLOWING TIME FOR LABELLING, I SHOULD HAVE THEM READY IN 2 WEEKS TIME.

GARTH

• 3 weeks later...