The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle Confusion

KWFarrar

I'm trying to figure out how and where my great uncle died in 1917. He is listed in the CWGC as having died 17 January 1917 and is remembered at the Thiepval Memorial. He was in the 6th Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment. However, I am having difficulty discovering what battles were being fought around this time. I understand that winter was extremely severe and that there wasn't much action in early-mid January. Is this right? I have one tenuous link to Lens, but it could be totally wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

KWF

6TH Yorkshires were in the Beaumetz area at this time, from the regimental history,

"In these parts the battalion remained for some considerable time, casualties were few but there was much sickness"

Bob.

SDGW lists 14 from 6 Bn Yorks Regt who died on 17/1/17 - mostly killed in action.

Maybe a trench raid, or from shelling? Bn war diary might clarify.

Who was your chap?

Ian

SDGW lists 14 from 6 Bn Yorks Regt who died on 17/1/17 - mostly killed in action.

Maybe a trench raid, or from shelling? Bn war diary might clarify.

Who was your chap?

Ian

Thanks for asking, Ian. He was my great uncle, Wallace Dews. I believe he was in Halifax, West Yorkshire when he signed up.

6TH Yorkshires were in the Beaumetz area at this time, from the regimental history,

"In these parts the battalion remained for some considerable time, casualties were few but there was much sickness"

Bob.

Thank you, Bob. I will see what I can find. Can you recommend a good history of the 6th Yorkshires?.

Karen

If you use the site which I have given the link for below then you should be able to find where he was in and around the time that he was killed:

http://www.1914-1918.net/

Thank you. I have visited this website and see that they offer a search service. If I reach an absolute brick wall, I will certainly hand over my search to them.

Karen

Thanks for asking, Ian. His name was Wallace Dews. I believe he was in Halifax, West Yorkshire when he signed up. Do you have the link to that SDGW reference? I haven't yet figured out how to search that site.

Karen

Karen,

Wallace is shown as being born Halifax and enlisted at Queensbury.

He was formerly 31537 11th Reserve Hussars Regt. He is listed as being killed in action.

This is from SDGW - it is not online as such, but you need to buy a CD of the database. It is now also available on subscription sites such as Ancestry or Find My Past.

As I previously mentioned, to get closer to the specifics you would be best advised to read the Bn war diary (at Kew or a regimental museum). He will not likely be named, but if there was a particular incident leading to these casualties it may well be mentioned.

His medal index card is at Kew - downloadable for Pnds 3.50 - or it may well be on Ancestry where you can obtain a coloured image also with the scan of the back of the card, which may or may not carry correspondence info.

From Kew:

Description Medal card of Dews, Wallace

Corps Regiment No Rank

Yorkshire Regiment 33540 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/6

Ian

Thank you! Yes, I have already obtained a copy of his medal index card. He had told my gradmother that he was in a Hussars regiment, but she had the wrong number. She thought it was the 18th, which sent me haring after the Bradford Pals, since the family was also in Bradford. However, the Pals saw no action in January 1917, and that had me at a standstill. This information helps enormously.

Karen