Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Orchard Road, Gunner Sidings & Mairie Redoubt, Gorre

Ivor

I am visiting the Paris area in 3 weeks time and I plan to take a day out and spend it looking around the Gorre/Festubert/Salome area, the4 area that my Great Uncle was serving in when he was captured on about 9th April 1918 prior to being KIA as a prisoner of war about 28th April 1918 during allied shelling of Salome. The only info I have recieved from the King's Own museum at Lancaster is that on 9th April 1918 the Battalion were at Givenchy.

My great uncle (Private 200738 Joseph Steele) was serving in the 1/4 Battalion of the Kings Own Royal Lancashire Regiment at the time and according to the War Diary for the area at the time it states the following where it mentions the 1/4th North Lancs Regiment:

April 2nd 1918 - Our aeroplanes were very active during the day which was fine. Three patrols out at night. artillery cutting wire for raids by 1/4th N. Lanc.R

April 6th 1918 - Patrols from three Companies consisting of Colliers & 45 OR entered enemy front support lines opposite Batter front & found them unoccupied. Raid which should have been undertaken by 1/4th N.Lancs.R. cancelled owing to information gained by our patrols.

There is quite a lot of info for the 9th April but it does state:

April 9th 1918 - 10:55 a.m. MAIRIE REDOUBT still intact. GUNNER SIDING N. held. Enemy being bombarded out of GUNNER SIDING .S. towards ORCHARD ROAD. In touch with 1/4th N.LANCS.R on left

It also goes on to state:

4:55 p.m. - Situation on Battalion front :-

"A" Company in occupation of BAYSWATER & DEATH OR GLORY SAP

"B" Company in occupation of BAYSWATER (with 17 OR)

"C" Company in occupation of OXFORD TERRACE with 1 attached & platoon of 2/5th LAN FUS: MAIRIE REDOUBT GUNNER SIDING & ORCHARD KEEP

"D" Company in occupation of CAMBRIDGE TERRACE to WOLF ROAD

Enemy in occupation of WARLINGHAM CRATER & LOWER FINCHLEY ROAD

Can anyone help me with:

A) provinding a copy of the trench system showing where the above places were or at least where Mairie Redoubt, Gunner Siding and Orchard Road were situated and the possition where the 1/4th North Lancs Regiment where sited - even better if this could be super-imposed over a photo of the area now.

B) Which company did the 1/4th North Lancs Regiment belong to so I can see where they occupied at 4:55 p.m.

Any help/advice anyone can give would be most gratefuly received.

In the past Robert Dunlop, Landstrum, Norther Soul and Croonaert have been of great help regarding this area and my great uncle which was of great use - thanks again for this info.

Thanks,

Ivor

Here is map showing Orchard and Gunner....Mairie Redoubt is not shown on this map but is at the trench junction where the V of Givenchy is. Hope this helps, Peter

Mebu,

Thanks, this will be great help for when I am there in a couple of weeks. Thanks again.

Ivor

Could anyone also please let me know where 'Pont Pike - Windy Corner', 'Death or Glory Sap', the Company HQ on 'Oxfod Terrace and 'Oxford Keep', and 'Bayswater'?

Also, now I know where Orchard Road was but where was 'Orchard Keep'?

Any help/assistance would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ivor